Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

odd windows update problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emh1969

emh1969

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:05 PM

Hi,

Currently I have my Windows update set to manual. Back on January 5th, I started my computer and got a pop-up saying that there was a new update available (KB954430). I went ahead and installed it. Right after the installation finished, I got another pop-up saying an update was available. Turns out it was the same one I just finished downloading. Over the past several weeks, I've downloaded this update about 20-25 times. According to my updates history, every installation has been successful. And yet, every morning, when I start my computer, I get the pop-up window telling me this update needs to be installed. During this same period, I've installed several others updates with no problem. So here are my questions:

1) How can I tell if update KB954430 has been properly installed?

2) Assuming it's already installed properly, how do I remove it from my list of updates so this pop-up window won't pop-up every morning?

3) If it hasn't been properly installed, what should I do?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 401 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

Look in your add/remove programs and check to show updates. If it installed , it will be there.

557851.png

#3 emh1969

emh1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 03:28 PM

Thanks! It's there....but this is odd...it turns out that it was installed way back on 11/12. So why, two months later, did my computer start prompting me to install in again???

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:42 PM

Could be one of many different reasons. Most likely (IMO) it's a corruption in the Software Distribution folder. To fix this:

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes). At the top of the search box, right click on cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"
Type (in the cmd.exe window) "net stop wuauserv" (without the quotes and with the spaces) and press Enter
Wait for the dialog to tell you that the service has stopped.

Next, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Software Distribution folder (it's in the Windows directory).
Delete everything inside the folder.

Once that's done, go back to the cmd.exe window and type "net start wuauserv" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Once the dialog confirms that the service has started, go back and check your Windows Updates to see if this fixed it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 emh1969

emh1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

Could be one of many different reasons. Most likely (IMO) it's a corruption in the Software Distribution folder. To fix this:

Go to Start and type in "cmd.exe" (without the quotes). At the top of the search box, right click on cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"
Type (in the cmd.exe window) "net stop wuauserv" (without the quotes and with the spaces) and press Enter
Wait for the dialog to tell you that the service has stopped.

Next, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the Software Distribution folder (it's in the Windows directory).
Delete everything inside the folder.

Once that's done, go back to the cmd.exe window and type "net start wuauserv" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Once the dialog confirms that the service has started, go back and check your Windows Updates to see if this fixed it.

Thanks, unfortunately it's still doing it. Any other suggestions?

#6 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:07 PM

Hi emh1969,

A quick Google search shows your problem is not uncommon.

This solution seems to have worked for some.

If you fail to find a solution, you could contact Microsoft, they offer free Email support for Windows Update.

Best of luck :huh: .

#7 emh1969

emh1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hi emh1969,

If you fail to find a solution, you could contact Microsoft, they offer free Email support for Windows Update.

Thanks, I'll take a look and see if if helps!!!

#8 emh1969

emh1969
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 01:16 PM

Hi emh1969,

Forgot to give an update. I followed the instructions in the link and it solved the problem! Thanks again!!!

#9 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 08 February 2009 - 02:10 PM

You're very welcome, emh1969, thanks for letting us know.

Take care :huh: .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users