Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Left Clicking Brings up Properties and Other Strange Phenomena

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 SunRue

SunRue

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:41 PM

I got some great help from this someone on this site with a nasty problem a short while ago and now I've returned with some questions about another issue.

I've tried to research this myself, but can't seem to find any answers. This problem has occured before and usually self corrects after a short time, but when it occured last night, it remained until a few minutes ago.

First of all, I'm using Windows XP, Service Pack 3. My computer is a Sony Vaio Desktop with Pentium Dual Core Processor.
Last night, when trying to bring up Mozilla Firefox by left clicking on the desk top short cut, the properties menu came up instead of the program. I tried to left click other icons on the desktop and they all did the same thing.

Furthermore, I could not use the start menu because clicking on it would just toggle the menu on and off rapidly.
At first I could right click the icons on the desk top, but then right clicking would just bring the same toggle effect as clicking on the start menu.

I tried rebooting in safe mode, but it made no difference.

It gets even stranger. After a time, the start menu stabilized and I could left click on items from the start menu and the program would come up as normal, but left clicking anything on the desktop would still bring up properties. Eventually the desktop icons stopped toggling on and off and I could also right click on them and choose open and then the programs would open. But I still couldn't left click on them.

But that's not all. Once I was able to bring up Internet explorer, all the links worked as normal. I could left click on favorites or a link on a page and they would open. But left clicking on anything in firefox-faves, links..etc, would bring up the "Save" window. I could only open anything in Firefox by right clicking and selecting "open in new window" or "open new tab."

Lastly, my keyboard didn't work...I couldn't type anything at all. Therefore, the only way I could open a webpage was if it was already in my favorites.

I did realize that copying and pasting worked if I highlighted something and right clicked "copy" or "paste" I thought maybe I could copy letters from the Character map and paste them into my browser in order to find URLs that weren't in my favorites.

Right after I did that...EVERYTHING started working again. I could type, left click on my desktop icons, etc. Like I said, I've had the problem before, but everything usually started working after a few minutes and a few reboots. This time it took many hours to start working normally again.

Has this happened to anyone else and does anyone have any idea what causes this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:27 PM

Hello please run 2 tools here. I don'treally think it's a malware problem but lets check first. Do you still have MBAM installed then do this.

RERUN MBAM

Open MBAM in normal mode and click Update tab, select Check for Updates,when done
click Scanner tab,select Quick scan and scan.
After scan click Remove Selected, Post new scan log and Reboot.

Run Part 1 SmitfraudFix:
Please download SmitfraudFix

Double-click SmitfraudFix.exe
Select option #1 - Search by typing 1 and press "Enter"; a text file will appear, which lists infected files (if present).
Please copy/paste the content of that report into your next reply.

Note : process.exe is detected by some antivirus programs (AntiVir, Dr.Web, Kaspersky) as a "RiskTool"; it is not a virus, but a program used to stop system processes. Antivirus programs cannot distinguish between "good" and "malicious" use of such programs, therefore they may alert the user.
http://www.beyondlogic.org/consulting/proc...processutil.htm
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 SunRue

SunRue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

MBAM isn't showing any Malware, but here's the log
BTW, computer is still acting strange. Still doing the same things I mentioned in the first post of this thread every time I start it up.. After a few minutes it starts functioning again, but I'm almost afraid to turn it off now.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.33
Database version: 1695
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

1/26/2009 10:14:11 AM
mbam-log-2009-01-26 (10-14-11).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 67245
Time elapsed: 14 minute(s), 10 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

SmitFraudFix v2.391

Scan done at 11:02:11.14, Mon 01/26/2009
Run from C:\Documents and Settings\Erica\Desktop\SmitfraudFix
OS: Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] - Windows_NT
The filesystem type is NTFS
Fix run in normal mode

Process

C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Ahead\InCD\InCDsrv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft IntelliPoint\ipoint.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgtray.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgwdsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehRecvr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\eHome\ehSched.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\PSIService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Canon\CAL\CALMAIN.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgrsx.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\AVG\AVG8\avgemc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllhost.exe
C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe