Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP unexpectedly restarted

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
6 replies to this topic

#1 tsquared56

tsquared56

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:31 PM

I was in Real Player getting ready to burn a CD and all of a sudden my computer restarted. When it re-booted, I had to selected either Normal or Recovery Console, and I selected Normal, which led to my computer just being "stuck". I manually shut it off and restarted, and this time I had a message saying that Windows unexpectedly shut down the last time it was open, and I could choose to either start from the "last known good configuration" or start normally (along with the options to start in Safe Mode).

I selected Last Known Good Configuration, and after the Welcome to Windows XP screen came on with the progress bar underneath, the same thing happened - it restarted and I was back to the last menu option. This time, I selected "Start Normally" and the computer was just "stuck".

Now, I can open my computer in Safe Mode, though I don't think I can access the internet through Safe Mode (I tried to use Safe Mode with networking but my internet wouldn't connect), so I'm currently using my wife's laptop to post this. I have no idea where to even start. I was going to delete Real Player but I honestly don't think that that was the problem.

Is this malware or a virus? Nothing at all had been acting strange recently; I would have no way of even suspecting anything was wrong from a malware/virus standpoint.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Tim

Edit - This time I started it up and hit F10 for Recovery, and it had me run diagnostic tests...my Hard Drive failed the following:

-Random Seek Test
-Funnel Seek Test
-Surface Scan Test
-Surface Scan Test 2

Is that as bad as it sounds?

Edited by tsquared56, 25 January 2009 - 05:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:23 AM

Yes, it sounds pretty bad.

Generally, if your hard drive fails the diagnostic test it is time for a new one.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 tsquared56

tsquared56
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:27 AM

Well, after panicking and opening Windows in "Recovery" since I couldn't get it to open any other way, I noticed that I made a backup of everything, then had Windows re-imaged. I didn't lose anything other than drivers, and when I ran PC Doctor this time, my HD passed all the Diag. Tests.

Does this sound like it was virus-type behavior or should I still assume my HD is on the way out?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:57 PM

I would keep a close eye on it and run the diagnostic test once a week.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:54 PM

Does this sound like it was virus-type behavior or should I still assume my HD is on the way out?

Usually, any software installed on a disc, including viruses, will not affect a hardware diagnostic test.
Sometimes I have even ran diagnostic tests on a drive with corrupt file/partition tables and they passed simply because the drive was in physical and logical good health.
Since your drive failed multiple drive tests, it would never be my first assumption that a virus caused it.

Follow Budapests advice and keep running the tests regularly, and always keep backups of your data.
Do not be surprised if you run into issues in the near future, even if it is passing the tests now.

Hard drive inspector is a great tool that can read S.M.A.R.T. data from your drive and even estimate a death date of your drive.
15 day trial will give info on one hard drive: http://www.altrixsoft.com/en/hddinsp/

HD Tune is another similar tool that has benchmarking tests as well as a S.M.A.R.T. analysis, however I have had some issues with it's ability to read S.M.A.R.T. data on a failing drive.
http://www.hdtune.com/

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:54 PM

Go to the web site of the hdd and download the diagnostic tool that they provide and run it to find out the condition of the hdd.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,989 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:44 PM

It is possible this is related to the issues that prompted you to post a HiJack This topic here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/198410/possible-virus/

To avoid confusion, I shall close this topic. If you are still experiencing this problem after you have been declared clean, please send a PM to a moderator to reopen this topic.

Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users