Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

3 GB dissapeared on MP3 player (Sony Walkman nwz-A818)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 feglk

feglk

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:14 PM

My friend wanted to watch a video but it was in a format that would not work on the computer, but i thought it could play on my MP3 player, as it also plays videos.
I plugged it into a MAC (I usually use windows, but only mac was available at the time), and tried to pu the video on, but there was not enough room.
I deleted a few things, i made sure it was enough to cover the video's file size, but it still siad there was no room. So i removed everything off the player, but it still said no room was there.

I deleted all the items on the player by moving them into the "Trash" folder on the MAC. Seeing as the video somehow would not copy over, i opened this folder up, and dragged all the music back on to the player

However, i noticed that some music was missing. I think this was because i forgot to drag it over, but i was pretty sure i did get everything back.
I thought nothign of it and tried putting the missing things back on, but there was not enough room (This is now on windows)

When i right-clicked the player and went ot properties, it said i had only a couple of MB of room. However, when i selected all the items on it, and right clicked and went to properties, it said only about 4Gb was taken up, when there is a 7.3 GB storage.

I deleted everything off it, and not it says that about 3GB has been taken up, although i have deleted everything off the player, minus the files and folders that the player does not let you delete.

What is going on? How do i get this memory back?

Sorry for the long and confusing story, but i thought i needed to explain everything that happened as i do not really know at which point the mistakes occured.

Did i mess up my player by using the different operating systems?

Thank you for reading this, and i hope i get a reply soon
x

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 feglk

feglk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

Hey i just found there is a "format" option in the settinfs menu, i tried that and now its fine

I know not many people have read this, and i got no replies, but incase somebody with a similar problem searches on here, then i have given you a possible solution!

x

#3 Gstick

Gstick

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:28 AM

Formatting erases all data on a drive. Please bear that in mind.

"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

I'm glad to hear that you got it sorted out.

We are all volunteers here with lives outside of these forums, and we can't always get to everyone in what they would consider a timely fashion.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users