Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton due for renewal

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pam54

pam54

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:54 PM

Hi All

My Norton 360 is coming up for renewal. Is it a good thing? Should I renew or upgrade? Do others find that it wants to run scans very often and takes ages to do it? I know I need these things but don't really understand them.

Any advice gratefully received. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:10 PM

I would not use it if Norton payed me. Symantec products are bloated and ther are free products out there that do as good a job if not better. I use Avast & Spybot S&D.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:43 PM

My suggestion: Don't renew Norton.
As stated, there are other products which are much better.
Here is a list of Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
It includes suggestions for antivirus and firewall.

Try one, if you don't like, try another one. Find out what works best for you and your system.

IF you want to purchase a program, see if there is a trial version available. If there is, install and use it so you can find out if it plays nice with your system. Play around with it, is the user interface easy to understand and use? Is it a simple matter to allow or not allow programs to run? Does it slow your computer to a crawl? It won't take you long to find out if it's something you want to continue using.

When/if you uninstall Norton, after the uninstall, run the Norton removal tool found HERE

Scroll down to download the tool, you won't have to do any of the other stuff listed.

#4 RedDawn

RedDawn

• Members
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

Hi Pam,

As you've mentioned that you don't really understand security software, I would stick with what you know and has worked for you. Norton's 2009 range of products have vastly improved on previous versions. Much less impact on system resources and boot times, faster scan speeds and greater detection rates.

So yes, if I was you I would renew my license for Norton.

Just my 2 cents :thumbsup:.

Edited by RedDawn, 25 January 2009 - 07:13 PM.

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:35 AM

I failed to include something in my post above.
I recommended not renewing Norton so the poster could try other programs.
If after using other programs, and you decide Norton is what works best for you, then renew.

#6 pam54

pam54
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Much appreciated.

#7 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

Hi All

.. I know I need these things but don't really understand them.

Any advice gratefully received. :thumbsup:

If you are interested in learning, to help you make decisions on renewing Norton, using different free software and getting a better understanding of scanning and what your security software is doing or not doing - there are lots of tutorials:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/
http://www.pcstats.com/beginners.cfm
http://computer.howstuffworks.com/

good luck with either renewing or trying some of the free software

#8 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:13 PM

I find that Avira AntiVir Personal (Free) edition surpasses most paid AV's. It can be downloaded from here

#9 Mike T

Mike T

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:30 AM

Past versions of NAV/NIS have deservedly bad reputations as resource hogs. The 2009 version of NAV/NIS was reviewed and compared against 5-6 other products last monthin a MaximumPC magazine article. It recevied the highest score for catching/removing viruses and malware. Based on that article, I purchased a 3 license copy of NIS 2009.

I installed 1 copy on my daughters computer (she is visually impaired and usually doesn't find her way to too many "unsafe" sites) - kind of a guinea pig approach. So far I can state it doesn't take up much memory - Task Manager indicates 2 instances of ccSvcHst.exe present totaling around 8 Mb. The first scan also located 3 suspicious files in the Java cache that Trend (my prior AV) and 3 other online scanners (BitDefender, F-Secure & Kaspersky) missed. Thought that was a good thing in its favor.

If you are comfortable with your Norton/Symantec product and would prefer not to learn something new, I'd also recommend sticking with what you know. Based on my experience, Norton/Symantec appears to have turned over a new leaf - though I'd like to hear from others. Will also post a similar request for opinions on 2009 versions n this forum.

Mike T

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users