Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP11 not working - it's like an empty shell!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cantila

cantila

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

I'm running Vista and have WMP11. When I try to play a video file I get the 'working circle' for a couple of seconds, then nothing. Same thing when I go to programs and click on WMP. I then right clicked on it and chose open file location. It says WMP11 is under program files, so is Setup_wm - I clicked that and it tells me 'your computer is running the most recent version of WM11 and all its components. No update available at this time.'

So, I thought I would try to uninstall/reinstall. I go to add/remove programs and it's not even listed there.

I had this same problem quite some time ago and the only way I was able to resolve was to system restore, but then I lost a bunch of work I had done in MovieMaker.

I don't know much about the behind the scenes working of the computer, but I can follow good directions - Hope someone can help!

Thanks in advance,
Christy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cantila

cantila
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:12 PM

I need to make a correction. I'm not actually sure if system restore fixed the problem before. I did end up fixing somehow, just don't recall for sure how. :thumbsup:(

#3 ayaneforever

ayaneforever

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

So even if you just open WMP 11, you get nothing? Try reinstalling WMP 11 from the microsoft website. don't try to uninstall it or anything, just install it again, and there should be a remove / repair option when you're in the installer app. If not, then the new installation will simply go over the old one. If it still does not work after that, try another movie player such as VLC Media Player (awesome app, plays basically anything you throw at it except like one version of an old real player file) and if that doesn't work, then your computer's video card (if it uses something other than built in mobo video) could have a serious problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users