Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice needed

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Rubyroo73

Rubyroo73

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:00 PM

Hi

Apologies if this is posted int he wrong area but i am running windows XP Home so I'm sort of in the right area??

What I would like to do is wipe EVERYTHING off my hard drive - basically my kids pc that is full to the brim of stuff they don't want I could go through it programme by programme to get rid of everything but I wondered if there was something i could download that would do the job for me? I don't want to reformat the hard drive as I no longer have the windows disk that came with the pc.

I'm sure I've raised a few eyebrows with this request.

Ruth

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 AM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 12:15 AM

What is the make and model number of the computer?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Rubyroo73

Rubyroo73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 08:33 AM

Its an hp pavillion 423.uk

#4 Deathscythe

Deathscythe

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 09:40 AM

If you truly want an easy, simple removal process unfortunately Wiping the machine would be an easy way to do it without you having to remove the individual programs. I saw that you do not have your windows disk anymore though so I would say that this option is out of the question. The only other alternative I can offer you is for you to use this program --> http://www.crystalidea.com/ ( download the free version). Once you double click the .exe it will bring up a listing of all the programs that are on the computer. It is much easier to work with than the windows uninstaller and might be worth a shot. You go down the list and double click all the programs you want to remove and follow the steps. Unfortunately you will have to guide the process but it will get it finished in ample time. Hope this helps.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

Apparently that model of computer has a recovery partition, so you can restore it to factory condition without a CD. I got the following from the HP website:

To start System Recovery:

1 Disconnect all peripheral devices from the PC except the monitor, the keyboard, and the mouse.

2 Do one of the following:

If the computer responds: click Start on the taskbar, choose All Programs, choose Hewlett-Packard, choose hp pavilion pc tools, and click hp pc system recovery. Continue with step 5.

Or

If the computer does not respond, press and hold the On button until the computer turns off. Continue with step 3.

3 Wait a few seconds and then press the On button to turn the computer on.

4 During the startup, do the following to enter the System Recovery program:

When the blue screen with the HP Invent logo appears, press the F10 key on the keyboard. (You have only a few seconds to press the F10 key before the normal startup process continues.)

5 Wait until the System Recovery box appears asking Do you really want to start HP PC System Recovery?

6 Click Yes to continue with the recovery process.

7 Follow the onscreen instructions.

8 Complete the computer startup, and finish the registration process. Then reconnect all peripheral devices.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 Rubyroo73

Rubyroo73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:24 PM

Right, I finally got round to giving Budapest's idea ago and this is what happened.

Unplugged everything except mouse, montor and keyboard. Did the system recovery bit and when it rebooted it loaded the HP system recovery bit and then i got a lovely blue screen and this message

STOP: c0000218{Registry File Failure}
The registry cannot load the hive (file):\SystemRoot\System32\Config\SECURITY or its log or alternate.
It is corrupt, absent, or not writable.

After much panicing I switched the pc off at the power button went and had a cup of tea and then switched it back on in the hope that it was all a nasty dream. Fortunately the pc booted up ok but I am back to square one and still need/want to wipe everything off.

What do I do now?

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:03 PM

I would try running through the System Recovery procedure again.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 Rubyroo73

Rubyroo73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:46 AM

Tried it a second time and got the same message. Any other ideas anyone?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,723 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

FWIW: Web page containing HP recovery guidance, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...ocname=bph07145

Louis

#10 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 19 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

I would try running a diagnostic on the hard drive.

http://hddguru.com/content/en/software/2006.01.22-HDDScan/

—George Bernard Shaw

#11 Rubyroo73

Rubyroo73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 08:30 AM

Budapest

Everything came up with green.

#12 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2009 - 05:42 PM

Did you have anything plugged into the computer (other than the keyboard and mouse) when you ran the system recovery?

—George Bernard Shaw

#13 Rubyroo73

Rubyroo73
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:47 AM

Everything was unplugged except monitor, keyboard and mouse. Oh hang on my printer is wireless would that make a difference? Do I need to uninstall the software or just switch the printer off? Think it might have been in standby before.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users