Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HD qustion

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bruinator

bruinator

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:37 PM

First off, my USB external Hd is not noticed when i try to use it now with a bootable acronis true image 2009 software, it is not recognized. It is 2.5 months old. Would the manufacturer have to replace it? Is it more or less a paperweight now? Is there something I can use to fix it?

If not, what is a good brand of external HDD to buy?

Opinions?

thx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:10 PM

Responses please?

thx

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:20 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

<<First off, my USB external Hd is not noticed when i try to use it now with a bootable acronis true image 2009 software, it is not recognized.>>

Does that mean that you don't see it in My Computer/Explorer? Does that mean that it doesn't receive power?

Does it appear in Disk Management? Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc and hit Enter. Look in the lower portion of the screen, it should appear just above the CD/DVD drive.

<<Would the manufacturer have to replace it?>>

If you are asking...whether it is damaged and requires a replacement, I cannot answer that. I don't even know if anything is wrong with it yet.

If you are asking if a defective computer device should be replaced by the seller, that depends entirely on the terms of sale. If you can prove that the drive is faulty and it is under warranty, then you can at least approach the seller about a possible replacement.

Generally speaking, there are a few things that should be checked before claiming that an external drive has problems. The first would be the connections.

Louis

#4 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:50 PM

Can't see it in disk management nor my computer. I assume they will replace it?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

If you are asking if a defective computer device should be replaced by the seller, that depends entirely on the terms of sale. If you can prove that the drive is faulty and it is under warranty, then you can at least approach the seller about a possible replacement.

Have you tried it on a different system?

Does it appear to be receiving power?

Louis

#6 bruinator

bruinator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 527 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:45 PM

I was told by the store I bought it from that it has a 1 year warranty.

#7 funnytim

funnytim

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:08 PM

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

I was told by the store I bought it from that it has a 1 year warranty.

bruinator, I think, instead of continuining jumping to the conclusion that it is faulty, I think you should actually try to follow the advice hamluis is trying to give to you here to troubleshoot if in fact the HD is faulty (as stated, it could be something to do with your computer). Just because it does not appear in My computer / device manager does not mean it is faulty right away.

Generally speaking, there are a few things that should be checked before claiming that an external drive has problems. The first would be the connections.

Have you tried it on a different system?

Does it appear to be receiving power?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users