Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Panda antivirus 2008

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 paolimd

paolimd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:10 PM

I've had Panda antivirus for approximately 1 1/2 years without any complains about it. It was renewed on October 2008, and it should be active until 05-01-09 (since I am from Puerto Rico, and we write dates differently in Spanish, I take this to be May 5, 2009).

It updated automatically on a regular daily basis. However, for the past 3 weeks, it hasn't been so. Tha last update was on Jan. 19, after 3 days of inactivity, and so far it has not updated again. When I try to update, I get a message: "404: unable to connect to server." I am able, however, to connect to the Panda Homesite. Also, I keep getting a message from Panda to renew for an additional year with a % discount. I'm reluctant to do so, since it is not updating whereas it should still be active!

I am considering to get the on-line free version of AVG, but I do not know how to do this, since I am not computer savvy. Besides, I am not removing my Panda program yet, as I am fearful of being without protection, particularly if I should be unable to install a new antivirus afterwards.

Is it possible, therefore, to have two antivirus programs at the same time and, once satisfied, remove the other?

My budget is tight at the moment, so I cannot afford buying an antivirus CD.

Thank you for all the advice you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_The weatherman_*

Guest_The weatherman_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:32 PM

Hi paolimd,

You could try Avast antivirus and it's free, take a look here. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-avast-antivirus/

Remove your old antivirus as soon as you set up a new one. :thumbsup:

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

There are other freeware antivirus programs besides AVG, there's also Avast! and AntiVir. Remember that Avast! requires you to register for free every year but AntiVir displays ads urging you to upgrade to AntiVir Premium when you update it.

Is it possible, therefore, to have two antivirus programs at the same time and, once satisfied, remove the other?

Having two antivirus programs at the same time will usually cause conflicts and false alarms which will slow your system down.

When I switched from a paid AV to a free AV (in my case, it's Norton to AntiVir), this is what I did:

1. Downloaded the install file for AntiVir
2. Downloaded the Norton Removal Tool (there might be one for Panda)
3. Unplugged the Internet cord
4. Uninstalled Norton
5. Reboot
6. Ran the Norton Removal Tool
7. Reboot
8. Deleted the Norton Removal Tool
9. Installed AntiVir

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users