There are other freeware antivirus programs besides AVG, there's also Avast!
. Remember that Avast! requires you to register for free every year but AntiVir displays ads urging you to upgrade to AntiVir Premium when you update it.
Is it possible, therefore, to have two antivirus programs at the same time and, once satisfied, remove the other?
Having two antivirus programs at the same time will usually cause conflicts and false alarms which will slow your system down.
When I switched from a paid AV to a free AV (in my case, it's Norton to AntiVir), this is what I did:
1. Downloaded the install file for AntiVir
2. Downloaded the Norton Removal Tool (there might be one for Panda)
3. Unplugged the Internet cord
4. Uninstalled Norton
6. Ran the Norton Removal Tool
8. Deleted the Norton Removal Tool
9. Installed AntiVir