Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Did I get a bad External Hard Drive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Beantown11

Beantown11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:27 PM

I bought my first external drive a couple weeks ago. It was a Western Digital MyBook 1TB.

It would not get recognized on 4 different computers I tried it on. 2 of the computers were new and 2 were older.

1. Dell PC circa 1998/2000
2. iMac circa 2001
3. New Toshiba Laptop 2008
4. New Suped up MacBook

My friend was able to get it recognized on his MacBook ONLY after he ran it through a USB converter. The Dell recognized it for 5 minutes once and then that was it. I couldn't open any of the install programs. (Even though it says you don't have to install anything)

I did a bunch of research on these things....I know they are a crapshoot either way. Tons of reviews split between "best drive ever" and "this thing crashed in 24 hours and I lost everything."

QUESTIONS:

1. Does the fact that most XHD's now have a 2.0 USB make it not compatible with older computers.... or should that not matter?

2. Is a 1TB XHD too big to hook up to these types of computers?

3. Did I just get a crappy XHD and that happens sometimes....go get another one?

4. WD vs. Seagate....these are said to be the best....any suggestions?

5. I got the 1TB because it was cheap and had a ton of space. If I start with a smaller 500 or 750, will those be less stressful on my systems and more easily recognizable?

I'm obviously not as tech savvy as I'd like to be and get lost easy in the jargon.

Any help greatly appreciated!!! Thank you so very much!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:09 PM

Are all computers running windows XP WITH SPK2 installed (accept for the mac of course)?

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:16 PM

SPK is service Pack 2. I believe that windows XP will not recognize drives over 3** Gigs without Service Pack 2 installed.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 E-werd

E-werd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:06 PM

1. Does the fact that most XHD's now have a 2.0 USB make it not compatible with older computers.... or should that not matter?

It doesn't matter if it is USB 2.0 in a 2.0 or 1.1 slot, it will just not run as fast in a lower-versioned port. In fact, in Windows XP, if you plug in a USB 2.0 device to a 1.1 port it will say "This device can run faster."

2. Is a 1TB XHD too big to hook up to these types of computers?

If the hardware is newer (i.e. about 1999 and newer) then this shouldn't be an issue, because BIOS's and Windows 2000/XP support around 7TB of storage. This limitation should apply similarly to Mac OSX as well.

3. Did I just get a crappy XHD and that happens sometimes....go get another one?

You may have gotten a faulty enclosure with your hard drive. If it is still in warranty, you may be able to get another. If not, perhaps try a hard drive test with the drive in another enclosure.

4. WD vs. Seagate....these are said to be the best....any suggestions?

Western Digital and Seagate are certainly at the top of the game as far as names go. I wouldn't call one better than the other in this situation, it is pretty much even. In my experience, Hitachi drives can be iffy. Everything else is pretty much standard.

5. I got the 1TB because it was cheap and had a ton of space. If I start with a smaller 500 or 750, will those be less stressful on my systems and more easily recognizable?

Well, smaller drives will seek faster. But it really doesn't matter too much anymore.

Edited by E-werd, 25 January 2009 - 10:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users