Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reformatting SATA HDD's before reinstalling XP SP2

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Mike T

Mike T

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:17 AM

I want to reinstall XP SP2 on a clean system due to past bloating/corruption of the OS. For the record here are the system specs:

Mobo: Intel DP35DP
Proc: Core2 Duo 2666 MHz/Socket 775, 1333 Mhz FSB
Mem: 2x2Gb PC800 DDR2
Vid: XFX GeFORCE 8600 GT
HDD1 (System): Seagate 80 MB SATA (ST380215SCE 3Gb/sec)
HDD2 (Data): Seagate 320 MB SATA (ST3320620SV 3Gb/sec)
IDE DVD R/W
IDE DVD ROM

I have an original OEM version of XP SP2 on CD. I've stripped all non-essential programs and software updates from the HDD's. I backed up my data files on a 320Gb WD MyPassport drive. I scanned my computer thoroughly w/ my old AV software, and also with 3 online scanners: F-Secure, Symantec and Kaspersky - all were clean. Dl'd and ran SuperAntiSpyware (clean), and CCleaner. I subsequently stripped off all the AV and related programs and disconected from the internet. My system is naked and clean, and I have all of the drivers for the mobo and video card at hand. I have also disconnected my internal USB media reader - as I gather XP can recognize these as fixed disks and screw up drive lettering. I've set up my daughters computer next to mine so I have easy access to the web and this site.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to reinstall the OS on the 80Gb drive and continue to use the 320Gb for data and swap file. Was going to reformat both drives last night (adding an 8Gb partition to the 320Gb drive for the swapfile) using the Windows CD and recovery console. But DOH - it wouldn't recognize the sata SATA drives (should have seen that coming...)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I gather if one is doing a virgin install that you can slipstream the SATA drivers onto a bootable CD with the OS. Will this work if I want to format the drives too? Could I run the slipstream off the USB hard drive??? Last thing I want is multiple installs of the OS - I'd probably go over the edge, pitch the computers in the garbage and move into a cave!

Never done this before. I think I have all the necessary peripheral hardware to make this work, but lack the knowledge. Any pointers on the easiest way to accomplish this? My tech level is high-moderate - thanks to this site!

All help greatly appreciated!

Mike T

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:10 AM

I gather if one is doing a virgin install that you can slipstream the SATA drivers onto a bootable CD with the OS. Will this work if I want to format the drives too? Could I run the slipstream off the USB hard drive??? Last thing I want is multiple installs of the OS - I'd probably go over the edge, pitch the computers in the garbage and move into a cave!

Instructions on slipstreaming Windows XP SP3 Network:
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp3_cd.htm

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=85842
RAID Slipstreamer v5.3 Build 080626

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en
WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

You will also require a functional version (not trial) of Magic ISO, PowerISO or similar and your original Windows XP CD. Slipstream the SP first, then add the Intel drivers with RAID Slipstreamer v5.3. Finally, create the ISO using MagicISO or the like.

If you have any questions, please post back to this thread.

#3 Mike T

Mike T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:38 PM

Understood about the slipstream - I'm considering nLite as per MaximumPC's article here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/How-To--S...XP-installation

However, I still need to know if this will allow me to reformat - rather than a virgin installation.

Also - rather than the slipstream method (I really suck at burning disks - this will take me a few more days to read up before being comfortable with it), is it possible to reinstall the USB drivers from floppy? My BIOS enables me to boot to a USB device, I'm just not certain as to the procedure when dealing w/ and XP install AND SATA drivers. I'd prefer going it with the tools I have on hand if possible.

Mike T

#4 DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• Members
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:52 PM

However, I still need to know if this will allow me to reformat - rather than a virgin installation.

Also - rather than the slipstream method (I really suck at burning disks - this will take me a few more days to read up before being comfortable with it), is it possible to reinstall the USB drivers from floppy? My BIOS enables me to boot to a USB device, I'm just not certain as to the procedure when dealing w/ and XP install AND SATA drivers. I'd prefer going it with the tools I have on hand if possible.

Mike T

Yes, you can create and delete partitions as well as format them NTFS or FAT32.

It is possible to install SATA and USB drivers from a floppy. Just press 'F6' during the first 30 seconds of Windows setup. The drivers and .inf, .cat and .sys files should be written to the root of the floppy and not a directory on the floppy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users