Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bookmarking threads

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nmdamgud

nmdamgud

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 02:58 PM

is it possible to bookmark threads, and if not, would it be possible to add it? that way, if there is a specific thread we are interested in, we wouldn't have to wade our way thru every forum/topic there is...trying to remember.."now where did i see that?" it's available on other sites, such as silklantern.com...(an online rpg)..and it makes life SO much easier.

thanx,

damgud :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:17 PM

While we wait for an answer to the bookmarking question, I thought I'd share this.

nmdamgud Posted on Aug 13 2004, 03:58 PM
is it possible to bookmark threads, and if not, would it be possible to add it? that way, if there is a specific thread we are interested in, we wouldn't have to wade our way thru every forum/topic there is...trying to remember.."now where did i see that?" it's available on other sites, such as silklantern.com...(an online rpg)..and it makes life SO much easier.

thanx,

damgud angel_not.gif

That is what results when you:
  • place mouse cursor at left of the top left part of any post
  • left-click-hold & highlight the entire (or any part of) the post
  • right-click>copy in the window of post reply take it one step further...
  • start>all programs>accessories>notepad (or any other way you can open notepad)
  • right-click in the open window
  • paste
Now it's on my HDD. I name the file so it fits in folders that make it easier for me to reference topics I'm interested in. It's helpful. Notepad is light and easy, sometimes if the info is part of a longer piece, I'll paste to a word document that has a running bunch of posts and go back to edit and rearrange, later. News articles and product info & my notes go in also.

Bookmarking on-site is still a good question...I haven't completely figured out "My Control Panel" here. It's probably time to study it some more.
:thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 13 August 2004 - 03:22 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2004 - 03:32 PM

This may not apply to question. Though it is kinda similiar. You can track a topic w/ an e-mail notification. On each reply page right under message box, there is a box to check if you want the topic you are replying to tracked by e-mail. Or the track topic option is at top of each topic page. Also you can go in >your control panel> on left side > Subscriptions & Topics> View Topics etc. Also under>Options>E-Mail Settings. Go in these and check them out.

Edited by scarlett, 13 August 2004 - 03:47 PM.

Posted Image

#4 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:18 PM

ohhhhhhh...so easy for YOU to say...BOTH of you...rofl....i only manage to get into notepad by accident...when i save the hjt logs...and i just lower them until i get to the page i need to paste it into..or i'll NEVER find it again...it will go join all those lost socks...(you know...you do the laundry, and you're always missing ONE sock? they go to sockland, you know...)...never to be seen again. as for getting e-mails, yes, that works...but i can do what the e-mail does...which is to go to gen top, gen chat, and pick the thread i want...unless im missing something here...not to mention, it sends the same e-mail everyday, until i answer with a post..so i gave up on that.

sorry to have...um...as usual, ...start trouble. (damgud ducks)

#5 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2004 - 10:31 PM

O.K. Phawgg's option is a little work. But a great tip! But if you have posted to any topic. You dont have to get e-mail notification.( Which BTW works 4 me. Look in to it some more, I feel that u r missing something. ) Even if you do not use that option. In Control Panel> Subscriptions and Topics> View Topics etc. These options will give choices of all topics u have posted to at least. But (sorry) not those u have just viewed.
Posted Image

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:13 PM

Actually I was looking into this modification so people can bookmark favorites threads and forums. I will take a look silklantern.com and see if their mod and if i can add it here.. should be doable (but no promises yet).

You can always just add it to the browsers favorites, but I do understand what you are looking for

P.S. Just came back from that site and see its a Jordan site :thumbsup: Love his books...great series.

P.S. #2 : How does that bookmark function work? Cant really tell

#7 Bluie

Bluie

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 15 August 2004 - 11:21 PM

nmdamgud about the socks.. you did not really loose one you gained one. :thumbsup: Is the glass half full or half empty? Think positive.

About the email messages read them carefully they even show exactly what the answer given was.

#8 nmdamgud

nmdamgud
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2004 - 01:50 AM

we're chuckling away, here, grinler...

i should've mentioned it's a "jordan" site..my son is a mod there and has his own board as well (it's down at the moment)...anyway, he wanted to answer your last post..so i'll let him have the honors!

ps i started the rj habit...and dragged him into it..now he's into the rpg site and is trying to drag ME into it...lol

Grinler, Rayn here, damgud's son. Since my mom cant get the facts right.... I am a mod for the Biography section, so basically I help with the newbs. I'm also known on the site (Is at #3 for most posts at about 1650) I've been there for almost 2.5 years now and I just love it! anyway... ok, to learn about the bookmarking option you really have to join the site to see how it works. Once you create a char you can join a thread and bookmark it so it apears in your control panel. That way, whenever you logg in, it shows what threads you've bookmarked and what Long Campaigns you're in (It automatically bookmarks Long campaigns) All in all it's a really nice site. It's in the midst of construction so not all of it works. They're making a whole new Silklantern called SL2.0 and will be up in a few months. SL has been around for two years, but was originaly NWT for about 4-5 years before SL.

Hope to see you posting soon. If you have probs, PM me at SL. You'll see my name all over the Tavern. Rayin (Rayn) Rishad. Also, you're not limited to what you can do. You're welcome to make an elvin character if you wish, or even a nym of some sort! or jsut stop in at our CR on the afternet server at #silklantern. If I'm on the comp I'm in the CR.

Rayn

#9 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 16 August 2004 - 10:44 AM

Ok thanks for the info. Good luck with the site and will take a look more closely at it.

Looks very interesting :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users