Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dictionary

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Christoph182

Christoph182

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:29 AM

Hey guys, I go on dictionary.com to look up meanings of words all the time. Sometimes I dont know how to pronounce the word but I noticed the pronounciation icon beside it, but I also need a member ship with dictionary.com. I was wondering if anyone knows of a site like dictionary.com but is free/.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:41 AM

dictionary.com is a free online dictionary. There is a premium service available though. Quoted text below explains the benifits of a premium membership.

Dictionary.com Premium
Upgrade now and get an enhanced version of the web's most popular dictionary and thesaurus with:

No ads
Audio pronunciations
Color illustrations
Crossword puzzle dictionary
. . . and more!

Dictionary.com

Is this the site that you are speaking of?

Edit: Oh I am sorry. Do you mean that you want the availability of free audio pronunciations?

Edited by scarlett, 26 May 2005 - 10:43 AM.

Posted Image

#3 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

Merriam-Websters online dictionary has free audio pronunciations. But I could not get it to work for me. I do not know why. I guess you could give it a try.

Merriam-Websters online dictionary

Edited by scarlett, 26 May 2005 - 12:40 PM.

Posted Image

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:42 AM

For reference materials I like LibrarySpot.com. I don't know if what you are looking for might be there, but it has numerous links to reference sites all in one place.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:38 PM

This one has free audio pronunciations:
thefreedictionary.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:40 PM

I forgot about that one. I think that I will edit my prior post, to remove the cooldictionary link. It is to much trouble to use thier audio pronunciations.
Posted Image

#7 Christoph182

Christoph182
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

cool thanks alot guys

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:24 PM

You're quite welcome, Christoph182.
Glad to be of help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 07:36 PM

This one has free audio pronunciations:
thefreedictionary.com

An old post but glad I searched here....great dictionary..for some reason when I use
M-W it comes up as a Restriced site and won't work on this computer even though it
works on my other with the same Operating System.
Many thanks friends :thumbsup:

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2008 - 08:40 PM

With a little study, the phonetic pronunciation printed after the word should tell you how to speak it, then you are not dependent on whether the audio works or not.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#11 joe883

joe883

• Members
  • 229 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 19 July 2008 - 09:59 PM

With a little study, the phonetic pronunciation printed after the word should tell you how to speak it, then you are not dependent on whether the audio works or not.
Regards,
John

If my issue was only the audio, I would stick with M-W....but as I said, I can get the web site
but using IE7 I can't put a word in the Search Box...Using Firefox it works just fine. I don't really
care about the audio part but I'll be darned if I know why that site comes up as restricted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users