Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Me - Safe mode, scanreg, boot disks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wishoosier

wishoosier

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

My computer is booting into safe mode, telling me that I need to run SCANREG in order to fix a problem with the registry.

But the version of safe mode it goes into gives me a gray screen, and no use of any buttons, so I cannot actually DO anything.

Another board suggested downloading and using a boot disk for the A: drive, and then going into the system and fixing whatever's wrong.

Directions on HOW to use the bootdisk are sketchy. How do I instruct the machine to boot from the A: drive?

I have a 4 yr-old Dell. I press F2 to enter setup.
On the other board, I was told to hit F11 or delete to enter "BIOS". This didn't work, and I couldn't figure out how to boot from the A: drive.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:33 AM

Hello wishoosier and welcome to BC

Pressing F2 to enter setup takes you to the bios. So you are actually there.

Can you give us the exact error message you are getting? There are different ways to run scanreg so the error message might give us a clue as to what is going on. You don't need a bootdisk to do this.

Have you made any changes to your computer before this started happening, like adding or removing programs?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 wishoosier

wishoosier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

On startup, I get a black screen, white text, listing four options:
1. Normal
2.Bootlog (BOOTLOG.TXT) or something like that
3. Safe Mode
4. Step-by step confirmation

It says "Windows has detected a registry/configuration error. Use SCANREG to correct this error."

Another thing I tried: I selected 4, and at each of the prompts that followed, selected Y for yes.

Once it goes through 5-6 such questions, the 'add new hardware' wizard appears.
"Windows has found the following new hardware:"
(blank space below)

When I try searching for a better driver, it cannot be found;
I tried specifying the location of the driver, and when that does not work, I get this error message:

"SURegcreatekey failed"

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

Usually you have an option in there for command prompt only like this which is what I was hoping for.

Do you have a boot disk? If not you can get one from bootdisk.com. Download the .exe file for an ME bootdisk and run it with a blank, formatted floppy in the drive. Put the floppy in the affected computer and turn it on, pressing F2 to enter setup and in Advanced Bios Configuration look for First Boot Device. Highlight that and press enter and pick the A: drive. Exit the Bios , SAVING THE CHANGES and continue to boot. Hopefully you will boot from the floppy and come to A:\>. At this point, type in the following and press enter:

Scanreg /fix

This will bring up the scanreg utility that will attempt to fix your registry. Reboot.

When I try searching for a better driver, it cannot be found;
I tried specifying the location of the driver, and when that does not work, I get this error message:

Try specifying the location of the driver as C:\Windows\System or C:\Windows\Inf. If you have the Dell Restore CD try specifying the location as D: or D:\WinME. You need the restore CD in the drive to do this.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 wishoosier

wishoosier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:35 PM

Thanks. What's weird is that I hadn't made any changes to the system since it was working ok last week, and virus protection is up to date....

I'll try all this on Friday with a hopefully happy ending.

#6 falcon1

falcon1

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

AS per Original Windows ME Operating system that came with my Dell a few years ago states:

To start Windows in safe mode

Click Start, and then click Shut Down.
Click Restart, click OK, and then press and hold the CTRL key until the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu appears.
On some computers, you can use F8 instead of CTRL to bring up the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu.

Enter the number for Safe mode, and then press ENTER.

This is verbatim from the my Windows ME Operating System
In a World without walls or fences, who needs Windows or Gates?

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:45 AM

I just checked my ME system, and I don't have an option for command prompt, either. A Win98 boot disk will probably work. Using the boot disk will boot into DOS, and then you can type scanreg /restore and it will scan your registry and you'll be presented with a set of choices for restoring. 98 has 5 backups and I assume ME does as well. Only go back to the newest one and you can always do it again to go back to an earlier one if necessary.

#8 wishoosier

wishoosier
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:53 AM

When I finally got an A: prompt, I typed 'SCANREG/FIX', and it said it was a bad command or filename. I tried several variations as well. "SCANREG/RESTORE" was not one of them. I'll try that next.

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:52 AM

When you get to A:\> type the following, pressing enter after each line:

C:
Scanreg /fix

That space is important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users