Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Win XP comp

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kendallcschm

kendallcschm

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:46 AM

Hello.. if you read the introduction forum then you know im new here im looking for help as well as to give it where i can. so my problem is that games and other apps randomly close on my computer and i have found it rather frustrating. i just can't seem to figure it out and no one seems to be able to come up with a similar solution... another part of my problem is that when i put a CD/DVD the auto play on the dvd or CD is supposed to begin running but it doesn't i have to go and do it manually... it seems like the problem is all in the CD/DVD rom drive or the driver. i know nothing is wrong with my registry cause i got CCleaner and it keeps my registry nice and free of junk or bad things thanks for your help :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:49 AM

My suggestion is more of a last resort, so I would wait for someone who knows of a simpler solution. Anyways here goes:

I'm going to guess that you had these problems after running the registry cleaner program. I suspect that the registry cleaner has done more damage than good. There are a number of posts on this forum that recommend against using them, including this thread:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/179604/registry-cleaning/

So, if using a registry cleaner really is the cause, then you can assume that the registry has been corrupted. In that case, you are looking at a Windows reinstall (and all of the critical updates).

If you can pinpoint when these problems started, it might help determine the cause, if it is something else.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:44 PM

Try running chkdsk.

Go to Start and click on My Computer.

Right click on the drive in which you want chkdsk to run. The C: drive is usually contains your operating system.

Click on Properties and click the Tools tab. In the Error-checking box, click the Check Now button.

Set up the Check Disk options by checking one or both check boxes displayed.

To repair errors without scanning the volume for bad sectors, select the Automatically fix file system errors, and then click Start.

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click Start.

You also might want to take a look in the Event Viewer to see what errors are showing up at these times.

Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Event Viewer.

On the right side of the page you will see the options Applications, Security, and Systems, double click on Systems. There are eight columns on this page, the three that you will want are Type, Date, Time, and Event.

The errors will appear in the Type column, they are red dots with a white X inside of them.

Warnings will appear as a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark inside.

When you see an error, double click on it and see what the description is.

Please post the error code/s found in the Event column and the descriptions back in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 25 January 2009 - 01:45 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 danjmilos

danjmilos

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

Did you backup when you ran CCleaner? If so restore to that point and see if everything is working.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users