Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WinXP shutdown problem

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:55 AM

I wonder if some kind soul can help with an irritating problem.
My PC (specs as below) starts normally.......from pressing the power on button on the tower to starting work on it takes 

about a minute
It also shuts down normally.......from going start>turn off to it shutting down takes about twenty seconds.
All ok so far.

However, I have installed Adobe Photoshop CS2 ( legitimate, activated and registered) and I use that a lot.
But, if during the course of the day I have used CS2 then my PC will not shut down.
It gets to the "windows is shutting down" screen, but wont shut down.

There are no error messages, and there is no report of anything untoward in event viewer.

I have left things at the "windows is shutting down" stage for up to an hour, but it will not shut down.

I have three times now uninstalled CS2, searched for and deleted any orphan files, searched for and deleted any and all 

registry entries and then reinstalled, but the problem persists.

CS2 is installed on my c drive, which also houses the images that I am working on.
My c drive and my slave (k) drive both have system managed paging files, and within the preferences in CS2, that program 

is directed toward using the k drive pf.
I have in the past adjusted these paging files to a recommended 1x ram min...1.5 x ram max but this has made no 

difference.

Again within the CS2 preferences in the memory usage options, there is 1762 mbs RAM available, and I have it set as 

"maximum used by CS2" 55% = 969 mbs.

Can someone advise please. Thank you in advance for any advice and comments.

System

WinXP SP2

Asrock AliveNF6g-VSTA mobo with on-board graphics nVidia GeForce 6150se edition 5.61.32.33.03 taking 256 ram

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core processor 4200+ at 2.37Ghz.

2 x 1Gb matched crucial DDR2 pc2-5300 unbuffered RAM.

start up programs are Avast Home Edition version 4.8 build 4.8.1296, Comodo firewall version 3.5.54375.427 ( Defense+ 

disabled) and ctfmon.exe.

Running Processes 26. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:16 AM

Look in the Task Manager and see what is running before you shout down the computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 alumbagh

alumbagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:02 AM

Thank you for your time and trouble, and for the courtesy of your reply.

The processes running in taskmanager immediately prior to shut-down are the same whether I have been running CS2 or not and are shown in the under screenshot.

There is an entyr there for AdobeLMsvc.exe which I believe is legitimate.......I have tried at various times with that service disabled, with it starting manually and with it starting automatically but none of these variations makes any difference.

Any further advice would be gratefully received.

I should add that all malware scans I have done indicate that my PC is "clean".

Posted Image

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:10 AM

Have you tried to end the process before turning the computer off?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 alumbagh

alumbagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:12 AM

My apologies, I should have said.........yes I have but again that has not helped the situation

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:36 AM

This is going to probably be redundant, if you stopped the photoshop process in the Task Manager and the problem persists then the problem isn't with photoshop. I don't know how you are going to narrow this down short of ending processes till you find the one causing the problem.

One of the causes for this can be a corrupted driver, have you looked in the Device Manager to see if there are any errors or warnings?

You might be interesting in reading this article.

#7 alumbagh

alumbagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

Thank you for your further advices, and for the link to the most interesting page.

Please accept my apologies for the length of time it has taken me to respond.

There are no errors or warnings in the device manager, but I will take time to go through all my drivers to see if there are problems with any, or updates for any.

That will take some time, but if I may, I will return at a  future date and advise how things have gone.

#8 E-werd

E-werd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

Here is my two cents...

If you shut off everything but adobe services/startup items, you can verify if it is a system driver or if it is the software itself. I am assuming that when you use your Adobe programs that you are using nothing more than a standard mouse and keyboard (as opposed to a Wacom pad of some type). If you wish, try this:

-Go to Start->Run and type 'msconfig'. Go to the 'Services' tab, check the box at the bottom that says 'Hide all Microsoft services', and then click the button that says 'Disable all'. Through these services, recheck anything that has the 'Adobe' name on it. I am not sure if CS2 had services or not, but it may. If it does, failure to recheck these services may result in a non-working program.

-Next, go to the 'Startup' tab and note everything that is checked--unless you have been in here before, every item will probably be checked. Click the button that says 'Disable all'. As with the previous step, recheck anything that has to do with Adobe.

-Click 'Apply' then click 'Close'. Restart your computer (it will prompt) and try to do what you would normally do with your Adobe product. Afterwards, try to recreate the shutdown problem. If it still hangs, the problem is either a system driver issue (like dc3 stated) or an issue with the Adobe software.

If it is an error with the software, perhaps search for updates for it. If this was a known problem before, it may be fixed in recent updates.

To return your computer to where it was before you started, start 'msconfig' again, re-enable all services and all startup items in their respective tabs.

Good luck!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:43 AM

Just curious here, why don't you have SP3 installed?

#10 alumbagh

alumbagh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 09:20 AM

I thought I would come back to let you know that my problem has been resolved.

My Acronis True Image program is scheduled to do a daily backup to an external drive of all my images and any edits and changes to these images. Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, the scheduled time has been changed and it was set to do the job at system shutdown...........so Windows was trying to shut down and ATI was trying to back up at the same time................have rescheduled ATI and all is well.

The lack of SP3 is simply that the shutdown problem I have been experiencing has been happening for a long time now and, knowing that the problem lay somewhere in my existing system, I did not wish to confuse myself further by adding more software. Will do that now.

Thank you for your help and assistance. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users