Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adaware will not complete in full system scan

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 laslo

laslo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:37 AM

When i run Adaware SE Personal (free) in anticipation of submitting a hijack log, it always completely stalls when it is scanning files in the Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386l\ang directory (at work so i think I've got the directory right). I believe the scan is near completion at this point. I have also tried in Safe mode with the same result. Uninstalled and installed Adaware a couple of times, same result. When it stalls it has identified 4 or 5 items but i have to cancel out of the program so cant see what they are.
Spybot runs fine and have immunized.

Running Home xp, Norton anti-virus, Spyware guard, Microsoft Antivirus

I know I've got altnet on the computer, Spybot and Microsft ANtivirus always identify it and its still there after fixing etc.

Anyone have any ideas on why Adaware is having problems. It runs to completion in only one mode: Smart system Scan i think, but in full system scan, scan volume for ADS and custom scan (where I've tried unchecking the Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\lang directory) it happens in the same place

All comments greatly appreciated
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 10:08 AM

Have you tried setting up Ad-Aware as described in our tutorial Using Ad-Aware SE to remove Spyware & Hijackers from Your Computer ? See "Step 4: Set the scan options we want to use".

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 laslo

laslo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:45 PM

Followed the instuctions exactly and still the same issue

any other ideas?

regards

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 05:41 AM

Hi laslo

I suggest you go ahead and post your HiJack This Log in the HijackThis Logs and Analysis Forum and explain when you post about your problem with Ad-Aware hanging. Our HJT team will be able to advise you further.

Good luck.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users