Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Modding PSU Connectors

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PCwarrior

PCwarrior

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:10 AM

:thumbsup: Just wondering out load.
I have a need to future proof to some extent, so I'm thinking of this unit as a possible PSU for a build. But all reviews say its got the longest and the most-est cables available.
So hens the question; Can a tech, with prop per soldering skills , a set of dikes, shrink tube, and ingenuity, possibly shorten & re terminate, bob, and customize the units leads to alleviate over burdening of the target builds, air circulation.
I've done lots of such, building LED arrays and complete automotive electrical systems. So I became a bit perplexed at the thought that modding such wiring in a PC situation would be of large dissimilarity.
I found UV reactive plug ends on a site that would seem to support, that others may indeed be at least removing pins and such?
PLZ don't yell, I'm just askin. Thanks
(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:24 AM

:thumbsup: Just wondering out load.(loud)
I have a need to future proof to some extent, so I'm thinking of this unit as a possible PSU for a build. But all reviews say its got the longest and the most-est cables available.
So hens the question; Can a tech, with prop per(proper) soldering skills , a set of dikes, shrink tube, and ingenuity, possibly shorten & re terminate, bob, and customize the units leads to alleviate over burdening of the target builds, air circulation.
I've done lots of such, building LED arrays and complete automotive electrical systems. So I became a bit perplexed at the thought that modding such wiring in a PC situation would be of large dissimilarity.
I found UV reactive plug ends on a site that would seem to support, that others may indeed be at least removing pins and such?
PLZ don't yell, I'm just askin(Asking). Thanks

Well yes. You can do this. However I would suggest sticking with load maximums. Going further with it's recommended wattage to amps ratio. May cause A fire. Worse yet electrical shock to the person doing the service..

Remember it just takes 100 milli-amp to stop a heart

I would proceed with extreme caution. I've done some modifications to my PSU by crimping on extra molux connections to existing ones. Again Keeping in mind the load I'm putting on the rail
Posted Image

#3 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking for the most part, just shortening and terminating(possibly blank, no ends (bobbed)). I wouldn't want to add to loads and such, but the PSU evidently comes with leads long enough for a full tower and has enough leads, to lead out two PCs. For the sake of ease, I would more than likely leave Mo-board lead alone, but drive leads may be subject.

Sorry, Goldwyn I tend not to spell right in my crowded mind any better than when I type.

Edited by PCwarrior, 25 January 2009 - 03:41 AM.

(new,12/23/09) ASUS Crosshair III, Phenom IIx4 955 Blk Ed, Zalman 9500 HS, Saphire 5770 vga, W-7/64bit, 8g/Corsair/1600 RAM, 850w HX Corsair PSU, WD CB/500gb HD, Pioneer CD/DVD, Smilodon/Dirk-Tooth(modded), All custom&controlled fans. Shhhh lol :)

#4 Goldwyn

Goldwyn

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:39 AM

Yup its a can do. Again just make sure not to overload it. haha otherwise.. So much for all the hard work putting into modding it.
Posted Image

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:49 AM

If you have the soldering skills this is an easy project, you could even custom fit the lengths so that they can be tied into a neat bundle. Remember the old carpenter's adage, measure twice and cut once.

The PSU is thermally protected with a fuse, so you aren't going to set it on fire, and as long as you purchase a PSU that is going to be large enough for your application you don't need to worry about exceeding current capabilities of the PSU.

Goldwyn's warning about the possibility of stopping the heart is rather extreme, it would require all the right conditions including a direct path to the heart to accomplish this.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:21 PM

Thank you, dc3. I will use great care at any rate. I would probably make cuts on the long side as well, to have cushion in the event longer was better. Do you know of a good source for termination pins? Any splice can create resistance, I would rather new pins at terminals.

I take current pretty serious . but it almost seams like my heart stops anytime I have a Vid card toast. My focus seems to become fixed and I can't think about other realities. So I want case air flow un-hindered buy mas-connectivity. I realize they make modular PSUs that can keep clutter to a min., but the PSU I'm focused on has great reviews and 750w should carry future mods well.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

I wouldn't worry about resistance, just make sure that you don't create cold solder joints and you will be fine. I would suggest that you use inline splices, if you don't know what I'm referring to check out this article. I'm not sure what you are referring to as "pins", if you are talking about the male connectors on the the wires coming from the PSU I would suggest that you leave the factory connectors as is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 PCwarrior

PCwarrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 203 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:46 PM

Well done tech article. Yep, I really like doing that kind of thing. My father has done it for satellite receiving equipment all his life, and I went along for the ride. For the most part I'm a hobbyist. Although many would consider my list of life's work somewhat of an obsession.
I like the wrapped strand technique used in the article. Splicing in-line would be fine, done sweetly, but the pins I'm referring to are the female wire ends that get inserted into the plastic OE plug. Most of the time they are removable but the retainer doesn't take to springing back and probably shouldn't be reused if removed from the plug(due to tab, metal fatigue). So, I was wondering about just putting new ends(pins) on the leads and rebuilding the connectors using UV reactive pieces(outer covers).

Found the pins and connector parts. Even LED lit molex (bling)

Edited by PCwarrior, 26 January 2009 - 11:02 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,274 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

As my father use to say "it's your baby, you spank it". Good luck with your project.

Edited by dc3, 27 January 2009 - 01:40 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users