Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to auto update windows/anti-virus won't update?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Koochrock

Koochrock

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:57 AM

This was a nasty virus. I would attempt to run windows update but it would give me an error code and told me to check my connection. Norton would not update. Most free AV I could download but not update. When I would do any search on Google or MSN, it would redirect. It would also give me a google page does not exist if I went to a windows download update sit. After 2 days of working on this issue and using every AV I could find, I stumbled across a google group addressing this problem. It said to access this website, http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Trojan-Remover.shtml

This trojan was nasty but the program took about 5 minutes and cleared it. I didn't even have to go into safe mode. If your having this same issue, give this a shot before reinstalling anything, Hope it helps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:14 AM

I am moving this to the Am I Infected forum from the HiJack This forum as no logs have been posted. ~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:13 PM

Hello Koochrock and welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I'm glad your computer issues have been resolved. I must point out, however, that the program you have linked to is free only during the trial period. After that, one must pay to have it. There are other very good free programs that could also address this issue. Some of these can be found in Freeware Replacements for Common Commercial Applications.

Also for various reasons, what may work on one person's computer may not work on another.

Orange Blossom :flowers:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#4 Koochrock

Koochrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Orange Blossom for the kind welcome. I was aware that Trojan Remover was a trial version. I wouldn't usually promote one software over another but this little virus had me at wits end. I had tried 2 other trojan removal programs and 7 different A/V and Malware programs including Kapersky. (sp?) I was just hoping to save someone from the headache this caused me. Great site by the way. Keep up the good work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users