Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOPZILLA!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 tia08

tia08

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:52 AM

Is stopzilla good to run with avast? what do you think?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:00 AM

bumppppppppppppppppppp

#3 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:05 AM

I am assuming you mean this Stopzilla program?

http://www.stopzilla.com/products/stopzilla/home.do

You will be aware that it is a spyware-finding program as opposed to Avast which is an Antivirus program?

HOWEVER>>> and here comes MY concern

I am SURE I have seen somewhere that this is a rogue program but I as yet cannot locate any links to substantiate that 'claim' :thumbsup:

Maybe someone from the HJT Team can pass a comment on that aspect of the program or prove me wrong in my concerns for its validity?

#4 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:00 PM

It's not a rogue program. If you search for reviews on Google, it seems to get good reviews from PC Mag etc. but from what I've noticed, users don't like it very much. It's been mentioned here before but I don't think a lot of BC members use it and that's usually a tipoff that it's not a very good product. It will probably work with any AV but one of the main complaints about StopZilla is it's a resource hog and will slow down your computer.

#5 tia08

tia08
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thank YOU!
i trialpaid that program from photobucket.
i'll just give it away...

#6 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:19 PM

It's not a rogue program. If you search for reviews on Google, it seems to get good reviews from PC Mag etc. but from what I've noticed, users don't like it very much. It's been mentioned here before but I don't think a lot of BC members use it and that's usually a tipoff that it's not a very good product. It will probably work with any AV but one of the main complaints about StopZilla is it's a resource hog and will slow down your computer.

that puts a dampner on that then as , if good reports had come back I had hoped to add it to my protection programs ; I am now rethinking :thumbsup:

#7 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 28 January 2009 - 03:47 PM

Read Siteadvisor's users' reviews (near the bottom). DO NOT just look at the green rating. http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/stopzilla...;os_ver=5.1.3.0

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,936 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 10:16 AM

You may want to consider Spyware Terminator without Web Security Guard.
-- Web Security Guard is included in the download but not required. After installation you will be prompted to Enable Web Security Guard Toolbar. This browser add-on (similar to Site Advisor) is enabled by default so be sure to uncheck the box if you do not want it installed.
-- If you already have an anti-virus application, there is no need to install the optional Clam Anti-virus integration.

Another alternative is Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. However, for real-time protection you will need to activate its Protection Module which uses advanced heuristic scanning technology to monitor your system and provide real-time protection to prevent the installation of most new malware. This technology monitors every process and stops malicious processes before they can infect your computer. The database that defines those heuristics is updated as often as there is something to add to it. Enabling the Protection Module feature requires reqistration and purchase of a license key. When a license is purchased, Malwarebytes can also be set to update itself automatically and schedule scans automatically on a daily basis.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

I am thinking of giving StopZilla the benefit of the doubt and give it a trial run but has anyone else tried it :flowers:

Had a re-think and have uninstalled it...... rather rapidly :thumbsup:

Edited by snowdrop, 01 February 2009 - 06:34 AM.

#10 Steven Avery

Steven Avery

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 April 2009 - 10:15 AM

Hi Folks,

Newbie here, and like bleepingcomputer. One thing about this thread .. it appears at times under a google ad for Stopzilla. May I suggest that the forum make an effort to put such ads on the blocklist that I understand google makes available.

Oh, let me thank bleepingcomputer for having a no ad policy after registration. (Just discovered.)

As an example, here is a Jing pic of what the folks unregistered see, on a page I had up.
http://screencast.com/t/D9OC8jdj

Thanks.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

PS.
If you need a starter list of shamware and scamware and scareware google ad domains (not all problems are rogueware, as you understand) I could send what I put together working with another site. It could be sent to the webmaster or posted on a thread and any urls could be disabled, e.g. with an embedded space. And given with a proper disclaimer that this is only based on my own views .. you will recognize many of the urls.

Beyond noting the stopzilla ad, I did not do any more specific bleeping computer checking.

Edited by Steven Avery, 04 April 2009 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users