Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to delete any files from C drive

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Coops599

Coops599

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

Hi All

I am not sure if this is the correct section to post this under as i am not sure what is causing the issue. however i am using Windows XP Pro SP2 so i thought this was as good a place to start as any. I have 3 internal hard drives in my system C, D and E drives. Recently I have not been able to delete any files from the C drive. Either on the desktop, the root of the drive or within other directories. The D and E drives are fine though. Whenever i try to delete anything I get the following windows message: Error Deleting File or Folder - Cannot Delete <filename>: Cannot find the specified path. make sure you specify the correct path.
I am able to rename files and have already run chkdsk on the C drive a number of times with no results

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I am still on SP2 since a work application i have to use has issues with SP3 so upgrading to SP3 is not an option.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:29 AM

Have you tried to do a chkdsk? If not, go to start, run and type in chkdsk c:. If c: is your primary drive, you don't have to put the c: in..Or you can do the same thing with a space and /r (chkdsk c: /r) and you may have to restart your computer for it to run. The only other thing I can think of now is to go to start, run type in sfc /scannow. Don't forget the space before the / you will need your windowsxp disk to do this and probably have to sit there and click on retry quite a bit as it goes through. It takes about 40 minutes for my computer to do this. Hope this helps.... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 Coops599

Coops599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:24 PM

OK. Sorry it took so long to run the tests suggested above. I had already run several chkdsk on the drive to no avail. I have also ran the sfc /scannow and that to did not fix the problem.

Anyone else have any ideas please

Thanks in advance

#4 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 08:20 AM

Strange.

Can you open and edit these files ok?
Are they set to read-only mode?
Can you create new files? If so, create a new file on the root and check if you can delete it immediately after creating it.
You are the administrator? Is it the only account?
Are you sure you have 'full access' permissions?
Try from another admin account and see if the problem persists.

Edited by lowtek_otc, 29 January 2009 - 08:22 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 09:41 AM

I suggest running a manufacturer's diagnostic on that drive...I'd also check Event Viewer for any error messages involving any disk.

Hard Drive Installation and Diagnostic Tools - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/28744/hard-drive-installation-and-diagnostic-tools/

How To Use Event Viewer - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

Louis

#6 karbo1

karbo1

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

Or use Unlocker.
Please post back if we found the solution

#7 Coops599

Coops599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 03:13 PM

Updates.

I ran a diagnostic check using the Western Digital tools and no errors were found. I also found out that i am able to cut and paste the files to one of my other drives and then I can delete from there. Using unlocker there was no locks on the file found but i was able to use the delete function from there to delete the files direct from the C drive.

So my conclusions so far are that it can not recognize any of the paths to the files using the Windows delete but only on the C drive. Even though I have a work around i am still intrigued as to what is causing this.

Thanks in advance for any further ideas.

#8 lowtek_otc

lowtek_otc

• Members
  • 280 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 05:13 PM

I can understand "Cannot find the specified path" ... that would either be an invalid file/folder OR possibly a disk or partition error, however since you can open and paste/cut these files with no issues, I would have to eliminate those issues.
The only thing left to assume is your permissions are screwed up, however you can CUT.
Honestly never ran into this issue before. I am sure a re-format and re-install would fix but that is drastic.

What if you boot using a BartPE or a live linux OS and try to alter the files?

#9 Coops599

Coops599
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:47 AM

What if you boot using a BartPE or a live linux OS and try to alter the files?.... This is way beyond my ability :-)

Is it possible to change permissions on a complete drive in Windows?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users