Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up, formatting and reinstalling.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PJQB

PJQB

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:22 AM

I would like to back up my documents and downloads on to cd but when I do this via xp help it asks me to insert a disk not a cd. Ideally I would like to back up, format my harddrive and start all over again by re-installing xp. Are there any good websites that will give me a step by step procedure on how to do this? Furthermore my computer has a partition, is this going to be a problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:06 PM

Hello PJQB and welcome to BC

it asks me to insert a disk not a cd

When XP says a disk it means a CD. A disk can be a floppy, Hard drive (HDD), CD or DVD.

This is a good site that you can look through. See Clean Install Procedure with Illustrative Screen Captures. This talks about an upgrade, but you will be doing the same procedure so ignore any instruction to insert a previous Windows version.

What is on the partition? If you want, you can leave it intact, or format it. Normally a hard drive is partitioned to provide storage space for data that can be left intact when you need/want to reinstall the operating system on the primary partition.

Have a look at the website in that link and post back if you have any questions or concerns.

Edited by Leurgy, 26 May 2005 - 08:07 PM.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users