Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Explorer shutting Off and On.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 maximumrock

maximumrock

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

I just got back from a buds house trying to help him out with his PC.... I am having a big problem though. His windows explorer keeps going off and on, which causes the screen to go blank and close any explorer window thats open...... eventually everything just locks up..

I tried going into safe mode, and its the same thing there either.. He said this problem has been going on for about 6 weeks now.. His backstory is, that his nortons antivirus had expired around thanksgiving or so.. since then, i believe he has beeen without protection.....(his fault i know)........but i can barely run any apps due to his windows explorer not ablel to stay open and getting locked up.. it has to be really screwed up if i cant do it in safe mode..

this PC is Windows XP Media Center Edition...

He is ok with me wiping the hard drive clean if necessary, but i am trying to find an alternative to that..

Here is what i was thinking of doing tomorrow when i go over there with my laptop......

what i was going to do is.. .. remove the hard drive.. pop it in an enclosure unit.. transfer important files to my laptop.......put back his hard drive on PC.. then reformat the thing and reload his O/S,,,

any other possible seggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:53 PM

If it runs long enough, you could try chkdsk
What you're planning on doing is probably the best
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 maximumrock

maximumrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:54 AM

What you're planning on doing is probably the best

Yeah, thats what i ended up doing, wasnt to bad......they are happy.

Though in the process of workin with my enclosure unit.. i noticed one of my old hard drives i put in it, no longer works while other HD's work in it just fine.....i tried it in a PC and couldnt get it to read either.. Any suggestion? or will this require a new thread.....?

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 PM

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

Yes, I would post that problem in the hardware forum
Good luck
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users