Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about upgrading RAM

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zer0cool

Zer0cool

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:39 PM

My computer currently has 512MB (2x256) PC-3200 400MHz DDR RAM installed and can be upgraded to 2GB. my question is, would i just need to get 2x1GB of RAM with those same specs, or is there any other info i need before purchasing a RAM upgrade? Also, do i just install the RAM on the motherboard and it will work? or are there any configurations i have to mess with so that the new RAM can work with my computer?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:04 PM

Go to Crucial.com:
http://www.crucial.com/
and use their Memory Selection Tool. It will give you all the information you need
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 Zer0cool

Zer0cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:19 PM

wow, that's a really good site. it really saves you a lot of confusion by telling you exactly what your computer needs. thanks for the tip. But there is still the question of whether my computer will automatically detect and use the new RAM. crucial.com says a 32-bit OS may only see and utilize up to 3GB, since I am upgrading to 2GB it should automatically work with my computer, correct?

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:39 AM

Your computer should detect and configure the new ram on it's own. Unless it was installed wrong or for some reason is incompatable... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:05 AM

The modules are keyed in such a fashion that you can't install them the wrong way. As Wildabeast has stated the computer will automatically recognize the new modules, and 2GB will be just fine with a 32-bit operating system.

If you would like a tutorial for this installation try this one.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Zer0cool

Zer0cool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 09:48 PM

well it appears my question has been resolved. thanks to everyone who contributed. you've all been very helpful. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users