Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! problem installing XP on a new computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:14 PM

I got one of SEE BELOW. I'm trying to install XP. but once it gets done loading up the installer kernel and reaches the point where it would be installing the OS, it starts telling me that it either can't read the disc or the disc is not a valid windows CD. the disc itself is fine and perfectly valid. anybody have some idea what to do here, and/or a way to get around this? the drive reads other discs when running vista, but as I have software that doesn't get along with vista, I have no desire to run that OS. haaaaalp. T_T

gee thanks weatherman, I was trying not to bury the board in copypasting the specs off the page. :|

emachines ET1161-03 (refurbished)

CPU: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 dual-core 4400
64-bit processor with AMD64 technology
(2.3GHz, 2x512MB L2 cache, 2000MHz system bus)
Operating System: Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium SP1

Chipset: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE
Memory: 3072MB 667/800MHz DDR2 dual-channel (2×1024MB + 2×512MB)
Expandable to 8GB
4 DDR2 slots total, 0 DDR2 slots available
Hard Drive: 320GB SATA II (7200rpm, 8MB cache) 1
Optical Drives: 18x DVD±RW SuperMulti dual-layer w/ Labelflash™2
Write max: 18x DVD±R, 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+RW, 8x DVD±R DL, 12x DVD-RAM, 48x CD-R, 32x CD-RWRead max: 16x DVD-ROM, 48x CD-ROM
Media Reader: 15-in-1 high-speed
CompactFlash® I & II, IBM Microdrive™ Secure Digital™ (SD, Mini SD™3, SDHC™ Multi Media Card™ (MMC, MMC Plus, RS-MMC3, MMC Mobile3), Memory Stick™ (MS, MS Duo4, MS Pro, MS Pro Duo4), xD-Picture Card™ SmartMedia Card
Video: NVIDIA® GeForce® 6150SE integrated graphics
Up to 128MB of shared video memory
PCI-Express® slot available for upgrade
Audio: 8-channel (7.1) high-definition
Communications: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem (RJ-11 port)
10/100Mbps Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
Peripherals: Standard multifunction keyboard
2-button wheel mouse (PS/2)
Amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Ports/Other: 6 - USB 2.0 (2 front, 4 rear)
1 - VGA
2 - PS/2 (keyboard and mouse)
6 - Audio (rear): center/sub, rear (stereo), side (stereo), line-in (stereo), front/headphones (stereo), microphone
2 - Audio (front): microphone, headphone (stereo)
1 - RJ-45 Ethernet
1 - RJ-11 modem

Edited by ZT-repairseek, 24 January 2009 - 07:31 PM.
removed link~TW

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kau_cinta_ku

kau_cinta_ku

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:25 PM

found this off the internet:

"Switching from Vista to XP is considered a downgrade. That means that the Windows XP setup program will see that you have a newer version of Windows already on your machine. As a result it will refuse to overwrite it.

There are two approaches, neither of them ideal:

If Windows XP Setup allows you to, install Windows XP "along side" Windows Vista. That is, Vista is not removed and XP is installed separately. You might even end up with dual-boot to allow you to choose at boot time which one you want.

Unfortunately, you'll still have to reinstall all your applications. Applications that were installed on Vista, even though Vista remains, will not be "installed" and setup properly for your new Windows XP installation. Even worse, switching between XP and Vista, if you choose to do so, may get confusing as configuration changes will need to be made in both places.

My recommendation is that you instead backup, reformat and reinstall from scratch. This will remove everything from your system hard disk, including Vista, all applications and data. Then you can reinstall Windows XP cleanly from scratch, reinstall all your applications (which we saw we'd have to do anyway), and restore any data you might need from other disks or your backup.

Reverting from Vista to XP is no small task. By and large it should work, and work well, but depending on the support of your computer's vendor, there may be niggling little issues that remain after the "downgrade".

That's why my honest recommendation, particularly for a machine with Vista pre-installed, is to simply bite the bullet and give Vista a chance."

however I would wait for some better help from the mods or others on this issue before tring them.

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

from what I see, it isn't even getting to the question of overwriting anything.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:48 PM

If you want to do a clean install...get rid of the Vista partition first.

If you want to do a side-by-side, then you probably ought to follow the procedure in one of the links at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=i...mp;aq=o&oq=

If you are trying to overwrite Vista with XP...I think it's been explained that this probably won't happen.

If I've misunderstood what you are trying to do...chalk it up to heredity :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users