Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

gifs don't work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 davislove

davislove

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:12 PM

Hello

I have win vista and if I try to open a gif image. It has to go online to open it rather then use the program that normally opens my pictures. It's not then end of the world but it's kind of annoying because it takes a while to open.

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:38 AM

Do you mean animated gif files ?

If so you need to open in a program that supports animation, such as your browser........but you can do that off-line without problem. 

#3 m0le

m0le

Can U Dig It?

• Malware Response Team
  • 34,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

Hi davislove,

alumbaugh is right that a browser can be used to view the .gif files. As your default, if you are offline and try to open a .gif then it will send you online. XP users, for instance, would also get the choice of using an image viewer.

An image viewer is not available in Vista however as MS decided not to allow Vista to support gif files so you need to use a browser or you could try a third party program such as Irfanview
Posted Image
m0le is a proud member of UNITE

#4 davislove

davislove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 11:17 PM

Thanks

I did not know vista did not allow it.