Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Connect to Weak Wireless Signal

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 capnmaxx

capnmaxx

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:32 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:56 PM

I have a new HP G60-230US laptop that I bought for use at a vacation house. There is a wi-fi equipped store nearby but I can only get the signal if I go outside. I bought a EnGenius EUB-9701EXT2 USB connected external antenna to increase the reception but it only shows high strength signals with its software. I can't even connect with it to the signal that the internal card can get when I'm outside.
Is there a way to "see" weaker signals with this outboard antenna, (I'm assuming that it would be more sensitive) or did I just waste my money?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

How far from the store are you?
What sort of construction is the house? (wood, brick, log cabin)
Same for the store.
Is this an open network that you have permission to connect to?
If yes you might talk to the store manager, see where the router is located. (is it in a closet)
Wifi range is typically 300 ft line of site. Add a couple walls, insulation, brick and that range
drops to about 75-100 ft.

Found this, should plug right into your EnGenius device. (no guarantees)
http://www.gnswireless.com/DWLM60.htm

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

I have talked to them and their system is set.
I looked at the link you provided, and it looks like this is sort of what I got with the EnGenius antenna. I realize that this one coulod be added on to the one I have, but it seems that the Engenius software just won't recognize as valid a signal that is below a certain strength even though my onboard wireless card can use it.
So, the question would be whether this additional antenna would boost the signal high enough to be recognized by the software, or how could I make the software lower its threshold of signal strength.....
Thanks for the link...

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,084 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:30 PM

Have you tried the antenna without the software? You never can tell may just work, I have never seen an antennas that needed software but then again my dealing have only been with FM radio, TV and shortwave.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 04:09 PM

The antenna I have is connected by USB, and it seems that the computer ignores it and uses the internal antenna unless I use the EnGenius software.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:41 PM

Well you Could try a range extender.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#7 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 10:42 PM

I looked at the Range Extender, but it looks like it will not work with Vista.

#8 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 12:26 PM

Anyone else have any nideas?

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 01:27 PM

What kind of router is the store using? 802.11 A/B/G Draft N?

Chad Mockensturm 

#10 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2009 - 07:46 PM

It is a Linksys, just says Wireless G.

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2009 - 12:08 PM

You could try building your own high gain antennae.

Chad Mockensturm 

#12 capnmaxx

capnmaxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 10:27 AM

I am not in a position to be building anything now. I thought that the EnGenius antenna would be all I needed, but have been unable to get any help out of their support. When I asked why it wouldn't work as well as my internal antenna, they replied:

"The EUB-9701EXT2 is an 802.11n spec device. You will only benefit with this device if the access points that you are connecting to are also 802.11n spec"

The antenna IS backward compatible, of course, and receives g-spec signals. I do not have a SMA connector on my laptop; I could only connect a higher gain antenna through the EnGenius SMA connector but then I have the same software problem. I could use another USB connected device, but that's what I thought I was doing already.

This is getting frustrating; this antenna HAS to be better than a little internal antenna, and the choke point here seems to be the software that doesn't show the signal that I need to .....see.......I can't be the first person to have this problem and I am willing to buy something BUT only if I know it would work.

Anyway, thanks to all for helping; this just seems like it should have a relatively simple solution

#13 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 05:14 PM

You will need an antenna that is type specific to your network IE: 802.11 G. The Customer service rep is correct that any benefit the antennae offers would only be seen under Draft N. You could talk the store into buying a draft N router. Or move your computer closer. Those would be the cheap and easy solutions. One last solution would be if you can get the antenna to work with the software use an long USB extension cord to move the unit closer to where you can get the signal and just use USB cables like networking cables.

Chad Mockensturm 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users