Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What type of hard drive do I need to buy.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 raidencmc

raidencmc

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:34 PM

My hard drive is making noises and I have decided to replace it before it is too late. I have googled my machine and checked manufacturers website to find out what type is installed and have had no luck. Also looked in device manager and saw what looked like an ATA and an SATA. So how do I figure out which one I have with out opening the case?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:49 PM

I know I spelled buy wrong. I downloaded everest and in the storage section under ATA I found this WDC WD1600JS-00NCB1 (WD-WCANM8130617). On their site it says it is an SATA but it is just confusing cause it is under the heading of ATA. I just wanna make sure I am getting the right thing cause I am gonna try and pick it up at Circuit City which will have no returns by now.

#3 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:50 PM

there is software will tell you http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html ther are probably others if this does not do it

two screws and you can take the side panel off to be sure

both can be ATA -- 1 has parallel connection (IDE) -- 1 has serial (SATA)

#4 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:54 PM

two screws and you can take the side panel off to be sure

The problem with that is where my tower is located it is so tight I don't want to move it any more times than I have to. But even if I did what am I looking for. Is it the cable connected or do I have to pull the hard drive out and read what is on it?

both can be ATA -- 1 has parallel connection (IDE) -- 1 has serial (SATA)

Could you explain that a bit more?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:46 PM

In regards to your first question, the SATA cable is on the left, and the PATA cable (also called a ribbon cable), is on the right.
One of the 2 cables, will be plugged into the back of your harddrive.

Posted Image
The colors are irrelevant.
It's just the connectors, you have to worry about.

Regarding your second question:
A basic definition of Serial ATA (SATA)
A basic definition of Parallel ATA (PATA)
Both definitions make comparisons, between the two.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:33 AM

FWIW: Hard drive manufacturers are prone to have the same model number...for SATA and PATA drives...so I would go by looking at the label on the drive itself (which will state if it is either).

As for moving your case in order to see the drive...how is that any more difficult than what you will have to do...to install whatever drive you acquire? I think it's important to get the right drive for your system...it's worth an actual look, IMO.

Of course...it doesn't matter if your motherboard supports either type of drive and you have connectors for both types available for your projected install.

Louis

#7 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:10 PM

If you have a choice, SATA drives (the skinny ribbon) are favored.

#8 raidencmc

raidencmc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Thanks guys. The only reason I did not want to open up my PC is that I will probably have to order it so I would pull it out put it back and pull it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users