Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

After the trash?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jaysnzees

jaysnzees

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Can I retrieve deleted files after the Trash has been taken out? With the right random key strokes, my 2 year old has deleted Call of duty 4 from our computer.

It was in the Program Files folder of course in a folder called Activision. I know, becasue I was tweaking in it, the I minimized it and showered. I came out it is gone, and the trash can is empty. I assume he did that, maybe this is the first signs that he will be a computer genius or something.

So can i get it back? We can re-install the game, but we don't want to start all over (in the game I mean) if we don't have to.

thanks
jz
What is thy bidding? My Master?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:16 PM

To retrieve it without any file corruption is a gamble. Once the recycle bin is empty, Windows might have already started overwritting the files
It would be best to reinstall the game
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:22 PM

I downloaded a free version of a recovery program. It found nothing that looked like it was related to an Activision file or Call of Duty 4. I fear my only option IS re-installing the game, which leads me to another problem. My 2 year old son this past summer torn part of the games manual, so I only have the first 8 digits of the 16 digit code. i would type LOL, but I'm not laughing (or play the game)

I am thinking the key code for the game may be retrievable from the registry, but I wouldn't know where to find it.

thank you for your reply.

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:49 AM

You might be able to retrieve the key using Belarc Advisor.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jaysnzees

jaysnzees
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:51 AM

I found the key code in the registry, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then under Software then Activision and Call Of Duty4. Thought you might want to know it case the question arises again.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users