Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions on future upgrades

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 vi3tx13oy

vi3tx13oy

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:33 PM

Hi I have made some previous upgrade during the past with this Acer Aspire T180 and Iím planning to make more upgrades to this machine. Here are the upgrades Iíve made during the past.

When first purchased: Currently:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @2.2GHz - AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @2.2GHz
Ram: 512mb DDR2 533Mhz - 3GB DDR2 667Mhz
Video Card: Onboard Geforce 6100 - XFX Gefore 8600 GT
Hard Drive: 160GB - 160GB
PSU: 250 Watts - Thermaltake TR2-430 Watts

I have so far made 3 upgrades on this machine as you can see and I am planning make more upgrades. The first thing I want to do is to add a hard drive to this system because I am running out of space (20GB left on this 160GB HDD). Secondly, I might want to get a new case for this system but I will keep all the components of this PC. I just want to get a new case because thereís not a lot of space in there since itís a small tower and the original Acer case back in í05 is also ugly. And thirdly, I may want to
upgrade my CPU to an AMD Athlon X2.

Before I make the changes, I have a few questions on the future upgrades I want to do;

- If I upgrade my processor, will I have to reinstall windows or will it read the new processor itself without any trouble?

- If I choose to get a new case and put all of my parts to the new one, does it affect my system or windows?

- Ok so, I want to add a new HDD. Do I have to do anything after the installation to make it work or does it automatically detects the new HDD?

Thanks for reading my post and answering my newby question but I just wanted to make sure before I make these major changes.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:38 PM

Upgrading can be fun and rewarding or quickly spiral into a big mess. For a case, I suggest getting a full-ATX tower since it has the most room and has enough space for almost anything you throw at it. Changing the case will not alter how Windows runs, but, depending on the case you want, your components might be a bit cooler since there will be more room for the heat to go and be vented. When looking at cases, be aware that aluminum cases are often of higher quality, with mixed aluminum and steel being next. If you upgrade your processor, assuming of course your motherboard is compatible with whatever you get, Windows will automatically see and use the new equipment. If you install a new hard drive, you will have to format it before Windows can use it. Windows will, usually, see that a new drive has been installed and offer to format it for you.

Suggested Cases:

Sunbeam Transformer IC-TR-US-BA-WOPSU - Not bad, but not of very high quality...as you can see with the price. $69
GIGABYTE GZ-FA2CA-AJB - A full aluminum case, one of the cheaper ones at Newegg. $139
COOLER MASTER COSMOS 1010 ESA RC-1010-KSN1-GP - One of my favorite cases, but it is also expensive. There is a Cosmos model that comes with a 650W power supply, but this one I linked to does not. $249

Edited by DJBPace07, 24 January 2009 - 09:39 PM.

3939.png

#3 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:57 PM

If I upgrade my processor, will I have to reinstall windows or will it read the new processor itself without any trouble?

Should be good to go assuming it is a dual core.

If I choose to get a new case and put all of my parts to the new one, does it affect my system or windows?

You assume your current motherboard will fit a new case. Some proprietary boards are not ATX spec and video/audio outputs might not line up with the backplane opening in a new case. Its a toss up on that one. If everything fits, nothing to do with hardware or OS is effected.

- Ok so, I want to add a new HDD. Do I have to do anything after the installation to make it work or does it automatically detects the new HDD?

Adding an extra hard drive is no problem as long as you have the extra connectors available for power, and the space to mount it in. Now, replacing a hard drive is a bit more work.

Edited by dpunisher, 24 January 2009 - 10:00 PM.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users