Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with internet: cannot ping my router

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ee2

ee2

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

Hello,

I'm not sure if this problem was answered before.

I have cable connection at home and I use a wireless router (netgear
wgr614 v6) connected to the modem. I went for a trip for 3 weeks and
when I came back I cannot connect to the internet with the laptop I
had with me when I was away. Other computers at home can connect
through both wired and wireless connection. Also, when I plug in the cable
to my laptop, it's not connected unless I disable the connection and
enable it again. The laptop used to connect before my trip. Also, when
I take my laptop to work, it can connect to the internet both through
the wired and the wireless connection. The ipconfig /all shows that I
have the correct IP address and I can see through the modem settings
that my computer is connected to it.

I have tried the following without success:

1. Rebooted the modem and reset the router to factory settings
2. Upgrated the router's firmware
3. Uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and software of my wireless
network card
4. Did winsock fix
5. Disabled firewall

Do you have any other ideas of what else I can do?

Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:43 PM

sounds like your network is working properly and the problem is in the laptop settings.

is the home network visible to the laptop? dclick wireless icon in system tray. if no move closer to router to troubleshot. make sure you are broadcasting SSID so your laptop can see it.
if you can see the network but not connect check properties on connection (user, password)etc.

maybe all the stuff you bought on that trip is blocking the signal :thumbsup:

#3 ee2

ee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

Hi caperdog,

Thanks for your reply. I'm also suspecting that there is something wrong with my computer settings. Unfortunately I don't know a way of finding out.

The laptop can find my wireless network and can connect to it. The problem is that it doesn't receive any packets. One of those little lights at the back of the laptop is constantly yellow (doesn't turn orange) and the other one is always off. Actually, at random times it can receive packets and then I have a connection but that lasts only for 10 seconds at most.

Do you mean to check the properties of my wireless profile? My network at home is unprotected. What else can I check?

sounds like your network is working properly and the problem is in the laptop settings.

is the home network visible to the laptop? dclick wireless icon in system tray. if no move closer to router to troubleshot. make sure you are broadcasting SSID so your laptop can see it.
if you can see the network but not connect check properties on connection (user, password)etc.

maybe all the stuff you bought on that trip is blocking the signal :thumbsup:

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:15 PM

so it works alright at work eh.
sounds like you just have a poor signal. are you right beside the router?

settings "acquire ip automatically" usually works as long as there is good signal
you could try setting ip manually to see if that makes a difference

also i do not have a wireless setup and i am trying to go by (failing) memory. can someone with a wireless setup jump in here to help with troubleshooting ?

#5 ee2

ee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:30 PM

Yes, I have it at "acquire ip automatically". It was always like that, even before I go for a trip and the signal is pretty good.

As far as setting the ip address manually, I did the following.
Went to the properties of my Internet protocol (TCP/IP), and in the alternate configuration I put an ip address: 192.168.1.9. For subnet mask, default getway, and preferred DNS, I put 255.255.255.0, 192.168.1.1, and 192.168.1.1 which is the ip of my router. After I disabled my wireless and enabled it again, I noticed that it had the ip 192.168.1.9 but still no internet. :thumbsup:

Thanks for your time caperdog.

#6 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:48 PM

when you ping router 192.168.1.1 do you receive packets? no ?
something is blocking
router firewall
i am not knowledgeable enough for this but MAC addressing could be an issue, i.e. router accepts a range of MAC and laptop outside that range

#7 ee2

ee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:01 PM

No, I don't receive any packets...

The firewall is off (I have the windows firewall).

I don't think it's a MAC issue but I could be wrong. If I go to the router settings and look at what devices are attached to it, I will find my laptop.

#8 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

i'm almost done
can you connect to your other computers (shares) and just not the internet ?

#9 ee2

ee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:17 PM

I know it's an unusual problem. I'm out of ideas too. :thumbsup:

I tried to ping the ip address of another computer but without success. But I think what you mean is to use another computer to create a shared network and connect my computer through that. Is that right?

#10 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:27 PM

well that may work but i was more wondering if the router will allow you to connect to a machine on your home network and just not allowing you access to the internet
"If I go to the router settings and look at what devices are attached to it, I will find my laptop."
also your router may be showing you devices that have successfully connected at one time but maybe not at this second

#11 ee2

ee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:32 PM

i was more wondering if the router will allow you to connect to a machine on your home network and just not allowing you access to the internet

How can I check that?

also your router may be showing you devices that have successfully connected at one time but maybe not at this second

No, it shows those that are connected at that time with the corresponding mac address and ip because it doesn't show always the same ones. Besides I always click refresh when I check.

I was wondering, is there a way to restore all my internet settings the way they were when I bought my laptop?

Edited by ee2, 24 January 2009 - 07:35 PM.

#12 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

system restore to time before trip

now you'll think i'm crazy but,

i remember having problem at brother in laws and i had to reboot everything in order. first shut everything off, start modem wait for it to WAN, start router, start wired computer, then laptop and it fixed that issue.

#13 ee2

ee2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:01 PM

system restore to time before trip

I'm afraid I can't do that. I don't have any early restore points because I deleted them (I didn't think that I will have this problem). The earliest one was when I was in the middle of my trip and I had already done that.

now you'll think i'm crazy

I'm getting crazy too :thumbsup:

i remember having problem at brother in laws and i had to reboot everything in order. first shut everything off, start modem wait for it to WAN, start router, start wired computer, then laptop and it fixed that issue.

I will try with the order that you mention later although I believe the problem is in the settings of my laptop and not in my modem or router.

Edit:
OK, I did do another restart of everything in the order that you describe. Unfortunately I didn't have any success. :flowers:

Edited by ee2, 25 January 2009 - 12:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users