Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Incorrect installation of software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cruisebloke

cruisebloke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:18 PM

My HP printer came with software designed for use with Windows XP. By mistake, I tried to install the same software into a computer that has Windows Vista and found naturally, that it would not install correctly. In an attempt to correct the problem I tried uninstalling the software using control panel uninstall and right clicking on the folder directly and selecting delete. I also tried dragging and dropping the HP folder to the recycle bin. Nothing works. The computer keeps telling me that I need permission to remove the software. In addition, every time I boot up the computer, Windows installer refers to a file called TrayApp.msi which I guess is necessary to complete the printer software installation.
IF I can get rid of the software that I tried to install, I think that my problem will be eliminated. I can always download the CORRECT software for my printer from HP. Any help will be appreciated. cruisebloke

PS I am not an expert by any means as you have no doubt guessed by now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 04:12 PM

Moving this to the hardware section.

#3 haun

haun

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:23 PM

1) Are you a computer admin?
2) if you are admin then just click "OK" when it says that, as you do have privilage.
Annnnd you're, asking, me...

#4 cruisebloke

cruisebloke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 05:03 PM

My problem does not concern hardware, it concerns software that is used to enjoy all that is offered by HP if you use an HP F380 all in one printer. Why was my problem diverted to the section of the web site called 'hardware' ?
When I see the window telling me that I need permission to delete the software that I tried unsuccessfully to install it tells me that I need permission to do so. There is no 'OK' that I can click on so that I can do what I want to do if I run the computer as the Administrator.
cruisebloke.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:11 PM

I'm just guessing...but I suspect that your post is in the External Hardware forum...because that's what a printer is, a piece of hardware connected to a system which is not connected directly to the motherboard. Any software installed in relation to a printer...is done so only to enable or enhance it's function...so it's a printer problem when such software results in an issue.

The software serves no purpose without the printer and would not have been installed on its own, so it's not really a "software problem."

If you scan through other posts in this forum, you might see other printer problems of various types here.

The software that is installed with a printer (drivers, etc.) is only installed for performance of that item, hence problems with drivers and printer software (IMO) can really be approached in at least two different ways.

Since XP is not at fault here, but you...by attempting to install XP drivers onto a Vista system...you have blurred the issues, this could have gone to several different forums.

I'll give you my cure for drivers which need to be removed...and if you don't like the response you are getting in this particular forum...I won't try to limit your posting your situation in either the XP or Vista forums.

You might bear in mind that many of the same members frequent multiple forums, so you may see some of the same responses in other forums.

In any case...I suggest trying this: How to uninstall hidden devices, drivers, and services - Tech-Recipes.com - http://www.tech-recipes.com/windows_instal...on_tips504.html

You might bear in mind that...an all-in-one will not appear in Device Manager as a printer, but rather as a scanner under the Imaging Device category.

Good luck.

Louis

Edit: I forgot to add...that it's probably a good idea to disconnect the printer, before trying to remove any/all folders/files related to it. I know that XP senses my all-in-one whether it's powered or not.\, no point in confusing issues.

Edited by hamluis, 25 January 2009 - 06:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users