Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Beeps, Super fast fan, no O.S. on start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 oldguy00001

oldguy00001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

My wife came home from work and found the internet wasn't working, so she thought she should shut down the computer. When she tried to restart it, and almost every time I've tried to restart it since, it beeps 5 times then the fan starts running very, very fast. It continues to run fast, and the ethernet LAN lights are on in the back of the computer, but nothing else happens. There is no signal to the monitor, the mouse cradle doesn't light up, nothing but an extremely fast fan blowing lots of air out the back. One quick push of the power button turns it off, (i.e. it doesn't have to be held in for 5 seconds to turn it off.) A couple of times it has gone through the same routine, but without the super fast fan.
I have a Dell Dimension 8500, about 4 years old, that has been running flawlessly until now. I upgraded to 3 gig RAM about a year ago, and installed a better graphics card. I also installed a wireless modem a couple of years ago. Other than that, it's all factory stuff. I'm running Windows XP Pro.
Since I can't get to the initial routine, I don't know how to diagnose the problem. Any suggestions out there?
Thank you in advance,
Lee

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:30 PM

Did you look up the beep codes for your BIOS?

PCGuide - TSX - BIOS Beep Codes - http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/index.htm

Louis

#3 oldguy00001

oldguy00001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:37 PM

I'm not sure what type of BIOS I have, and the beep pattern doesn't exactly match any of those listed, but all indications are that I have a problem with the motherboard. I have tried checking all the connections to the motherboard and power source, etc., but no changes. :thumbsup: This may be over my head. I'll definitely need some help replacing it if it's shot.
Thank you, Louis for guiding me to that site. There is lots of valuable info there.
Lee

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,241 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

If you have a user's guide, it should tell you what BIOS your system has.

If not, you can always go into the BIOS and see who is the developer/maker, it's usually listed right at the top.

Louis

#5 rosiesdad

rosiesdad

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

Google your dell and the model nr +users manual. Ive found all mine online pdf. Dell has info on beeps and there may be 4 leds on the back of the tower that also may give trouble shooting info.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users