Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AmericanMeowth

AmericanMeowth

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:28 AM

Hiyas. Run into a bit of a problem with Windows XP Professional.

Two weeks ago, my computer wouldn't start Windows. I don't know exactly how that happened, but I did a virus warning two days before, but I used AVG three times over the three days after that to remove it. I unfortunately don't remember what virus it was. It would continually restart itself after the Windows loading screen (the one with the blue loading bar). The error I got was "insufficient virtual memory for this task". I was able to fix that by going into the Recovery console and replacing the ntdetect and ntldr files manually. This alone didn't solve the problem, however, I had to also copy the system, system32 and security folders fresh from the Windows XP Professional CD. I was able get Windows to start, but it seemed that my system had reverted to pre-SP2 Windows XP Professional.

I tried running Windows Update, but it would never appear on-screen after I clicked it. I tried running it through IE, but I got the error "The procedure entry point SHRegGetValueW could not be located in the dynamic link library SHLWAPI.dll". I have downloaded a copyof SHLWAPI.dl from File Gurus, but their copy is version 6.00.2900.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158) and the current copy I have is version 6.0.2800.1106. I was wondering if it I replaced the current one (.1106) with the other one (.2180), is that going to cause further problems? I'm unable up to update to SP2 for some unknown reason; the installation always hangs during "checking for necessary space".

I'm concerned that my computer will keep me out of Windows again; as it is now, it works, but I have half of my programs won't work because I'm no longer using SP2. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:56 AM

Hi AmericanMeowth, and welcome to BleepingComputer.

How large is your hdd, and how much free space do you have on it?

With all the problems that you are experiencing it might be easier just to do a repair installation of the OS.

Edited by dc3, 24 January 2009 - 05:57 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 AmericanMeowth

AmericanMeowth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

Thanks for the welcome and the response.

My hard drive is partitioned (by the previous owner) into two drives of 35 GB each. On the drive with the Windows folder on it, it's got 2.54 GB free.

The first thing I tried was a Repair Installation, but it didn't quite take. It reported a slew of missing drivers, that is, the repair installation couldn't find the drivers on the disk. The drivers are on the disk, as I found using Explorer to look at the disk. Furthermore, all of the drivers appeared in the windows folder after I booted up Windows normally.

I'm trying to avoid doing a clean install because I have too much data to back up with Hi-Speed USB, which doesn't work without SP2 (apparently).

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

It sounds like you may still have infections, SP2 will not down load if you have a infection. Try downloading SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes, update both of these before running the scans. If you need further instructions for these please ask.

How much free space do you have on the second partition?

If you have enough free space on the second partition you could transfer all of the files that aren't part of you operating system and then reformat the partition with the operating system and reinstall it without effecting your files in the second partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 AmericanMeowth

AmericanMeowth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 02:27 AM

Okay. So, I ran both SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes found two Trojan remnants lurking in the IE Cookies folder. Deleted those and then tried the SP2 installer again. It got much farther this time (around 80%) before hanging. After that, I ran CHKDSK and found no problems.

After doing some cleaning of files, both drives have 5.5 GB of free space. Not quite enough to save all of the files.

I just attempted another install of SP2, which then promptly hung at 25% (the pre-MalwareBytes amount). If I could just get Hi-Speed USB to work, completely reformatting the drive wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I certainly do appreciate all the help so far though.

Edited by AmericanMeowth, 25 January 2009 - 02:29 AM.

#6 AmericanMeowth

AmericanMeowth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2009 - 07:27 AM

Now I've run the Windows defragment program and CHKDSK, in addition to two more scans with SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes.

I still get the same hang in the SP2 installer. Specifically during "checking for necessary space". The message beneath that is "running processes before installation". During this time, my CPU usage skyrockets to 100%, as opposed to 9% as I write this message. Is that normal, and if not what do you recommend I do to rectify this?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users