Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Newly Built Computer in a continous loop won't start up properly.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 welchyboy

welchyboy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:15 PM

Hello everyone I started a thread a couple months ago about the same computer and it has been working fine up until about a week or two ago. This is a new build which consists of

ASUS P5K-VM LGA 775 Intel G33 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - RetailModel #:P5K-VMItem #:N82E16813131187

1 x Western Digital Caviar SE WD1600AAJS 160GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor - RetailModel #:HW-191DPBItem #:N82E16824254005

1 x Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804 - Retail

1 x Thermaltake TR2 W0070RUC 430W ATX Power Supply - Retail

The processor is a P4 3.0Ghz which I got from a HP computer.

A few months ago I had some issues with my memory and motherboard not being compatible. I found out that the memory was operating at a .1 volt too high. I called the crucial company and got it replaced for the correct one. The machine has worked for months with NO issue what so ever.

Now what happens is I leave firefox or ie7 open with my email some times for hours and when I come back to the computer I most likely will see a session error and soon after that my computer will go crazy. Meaning it will restart on its own or the internet won't work. Won't be able to open up the browser and weird stuff like that. If i try and restart after this point it won't. If the computer restarts it will go into a continous loop (keep restarting). This has been happening for about a week or two. So what I was able to do is if I shut down the computer totally by holding the button and leave it for about 10 minutes I am able to use the computer normally until maybe a day or two later I will get an error again. I ran malwarebyte and found one or two things no big deal. Tried running AVG 8 and Adaware 2008 with NO SUCCESS. The computer would restart in the first five minutes. I figured out that it only restarted while scanning the registry. If i chose to can specific folders and chose every single folder it ran to completion with no errors. I ran in safemode and went straight through with no errors. Well finally today it completely went down and it will not start up successfully at all. It goes in a loop and doesn't start up. Even if I leave the computer off for a day and then try it still fails. Does anyone have any advice. I do not mind whiping and starting over because I can get my data off with no problem. However will this fix the issue. I am worried that it could be another hardware issue. Maybe an compatibility issue.

Please if you have any advice or would love for a challenge please post. Also for a DETAILED INFO on my previous problem regarding the ram please go here and read the complete forum...

http://www.techtalkz.com/hardware-tr...ease-help.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 welchyboy

welchyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 10:53 PM

Here is an update. I had a reply on another thread about changing the setting so that the computer will not boot without an error. I was unable to get to windows at this time so I used the UBCD and ran chkdsk and recovered some files. I then was able to successfully boot to windows and change the setting. Then I ran a virus scan with AVG and immediately the computer attempted to restart but posted an error. The error said something to the effect of a page fault error. Sorry don't recal the exact message. I then googled this error and found that multiple sites had the same conclusion as it was faulty memory. I ran memtest for about an hour and a half and found four errors. So I am confident that the memory is again the issue I am dealing with. Tomorrow I will call Crucial and have more memory sent. I will update on the progress and let everyone know if this solves the issue.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:57 PM

Thank you for posting your trouble shooting process it will help others in the future. Let us know what you find when your new memory arrives. :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 welchyboy

welchyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:25 PM

No problem I will update whenever I get the new memory.

#5 welchyboy

welchyboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:47 PM

OK the memory has finally come in and the computer has been running since Sunday without issue. So it appears everything is working the way it should. Thanks everyone for all the help and suggestions. This forums truly rocks because you can never know everything about computers.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,092 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2009 - 08:19 AM

Glad its working for your. Thanks for posting your solution :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +