Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

F drive instead of C drive in new installation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Hguzman

Hguzman

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:05 PM

I dont know if this happen to you before but to me is the first time and I ussually do a lot new installations to my friends. THis happen just to me. I re installed a windows XP pro to my computer and istead to have all operating system in the C: drive, I have it in F: drive instead. The computer it seem to be working fine but i found this bizarre.

THis happen to you too?

There is any harm to have it in that way? If it is, what I can do to fix it?

Thanks,

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 I.T. Works

I.T. Works

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:35 PM

If you right-click on My Computer on your desktop, you'll see an option that says Manage. Click that and when the Computer Management window opens look in the left hand column and click disk management. You'll see your drive assignments on the right. Find the F: drive, right click it and choose Change drive letters and paths and see if it will let you change it to C:
-Nelson

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

If there is a C: drive already reflected in My Computer...you will not be able to change the drive letter of the boot drive by the above described procedure.

When it's happened to me, I just remove all other drives (except for 1 optical drive) and do a repair install...that corrects everything (takes 35 minutes).

When it's done, reattach your other drives (and visit Windows Update).

Louis

#4 tenz

tenz

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:35 AM

I would also suggest what louis said above, but if you installed any programs to the machine, they will still look for their files on that F drive, so i would recommend re-installing all applications

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:19 AM

Actually...all the paths will change automatically if a repair install is done.

Louis

#6 Hguzman

Hguzman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:42 AM

All right guys this is what I did.

I went to disk manager and try to change to C: but I have an message saying that the system cant changes because F: drive is my system drive.

I did a repair with the windows disk but still as an F: drive. I used the windows repair and not repair console as is recomended.

The computer seem to be working fine so I do not know what the deal is.

I can try something else. :thumbsup:

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,254 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:45 AM

Did you...remove all other drives when you did the repair?

"All other" includes flash drives and external drives.

Louis

#8 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 January 2009 - 09:45 AM

I am dual booting Vista and Windows 7. When I am in either OS , they show as C:\. When I am in Vista Win 7 is F:\.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users