Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to stop "power user" software installations

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DoesNotCompute

DoesNotCompute

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hello All,

I have used this forum to find several answers to my ailments over the last few years and today I have finally been completely beaten by an issue that I could not possibly find the answer to anywhere. In my situation we are attempting to demote all users from local Admins on their machines to power users and remove their ability to install software. I am aware that this is the bass ackwards way of creating a secure windows environment but this is currently what our situation calls for. I have researched editing the local GPO on each system, editing the registry, and creating/editing permissions on folders/reg keys. None of the suggested actions I have found have solved the issue. Can anyone tell me a solution that they have found that works for this particular situation? All workstations are running XP PRO and are members of a Domain with appropriate user restrictions for the network so this is only a matter of securing the local machine. Please let me know if more information is needed and thanks to all those who even look at this post.

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DoesNotCompute

DoesNotCompute
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:56 PM

Update: I would also look into any 3rd party software suggestions that are open-source . . . ? (I guess I am being greedy but I would have thought there would be at least 1 reply by now . . . )

Edited by DoesNotCompute, 23 January 2009 - 02:57 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users