Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Telephone wiring for Broadband

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 doresy

doresy

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:05 PM

Sorry if this doesn't belong here.

First things first. AOL Broadband- I have had it for years and gotten used to it. Just lately it's got real slow, not that it was ever speedy. I pay for 2 megs
I did me one of those speed test and I was clocking d/l 300kbps. u/l about 100kbps It was quicker to send a letter!!!!

I though, time to do an investigation. Phoned AOL.....one word and it ain't printable here!

This is how my phone/internet is hooked up.........It starts with one of those NTE5 type master socket. 2 wires connected from the outside to the bit you are not meant to mess with. Then 3 wires connected to the bit you can mess with which feeds an extention phone socket upstairs which has a filter and phone connected. Ok so far?

Plugged in the front of the master socket is a filter. Plugged into the filter is an ADSL wire leading to my wireless modem/router (Netgear DG834G-v3) and a phone line leading to a phone. Still with me?

Now, as I see it that's correct, yes? Well I undid the lower portion of the master socket and plugged the filter with the ADSL connected straight into the inner socket and then did a speed test......OVER 2 MEGS!!!!! wow what a difference.
When I put it back to how it should be it still was clocking 2 megs or more. Fault must have been bad connection?

Got a new problem now......keep loosing connection :thumbsup: The phone has a crackle when you answer it too.

Had some new filters so tried swapping them over. Seems ok for now but tomorrow could be a different story.

Anybody else have this set up with AOL and a NTE5 with an extention. Could it be the master socket failing or maybe the hard wired extention phone socket?
Windows XP Home....Netgear DG834G wireless modem/router....ISP- AOL.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users