Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

free protection questions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 rfearo

rfearo

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:17 PM

Hello all:

I know this topic has been has been discussed to death, but after looking through the most recent posts I can't find an answer to my questions. If these questions have been answered before, forgive me for not finding them on my own. They are:

1) Of the following applications, is AVG Free edition the only "full time" product:

-AVG Free edition
-SAS Free edition
-Malwarebytes Free edition
-Avira Free edition
-Bit Defender Freeedition
(I have all of these and just want to make sure only one runs all the time so as not to slow down my system)

2) Is AVG Free only for antivirus or does it stop other things as well? If it is only a anti-virus, can anyone suggest another free "fulltime" application that blocks spyware, malware and virus as well?

3) I currently only have only the Windows XP Firewall running and from what I have read on this site that is not very effective. I have seen many people praising Comodo but I really don't know anything about it, other than a few people have have claimed that it is complicated to use. For someone that is not very tech-saavy, would you recommend Zone Alarm over Comodo?

I curently have a pending HJT log waiting to be reviewed and thought I would do some research and get some opinions while I waited. I realize the choices of what to use are up to me, but would appreciate any feedback in helping me make an educated decision.

Thanks much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:00 PM

Question # 1:

Avira AntiVir also runs in the background. Uninstall either Avira or AVG because it will cause conflicts and false alarms.

SuperAntiSpyware also runs in the background but it does not provide real-time protection. there should be a setting that you can turn off to make sure that it doesn't turn on with Windows.

Question # 2:

It has an anti-spyware/adware but you should still use Malwarebytes just to make sure. It doesn't have a firewall.

Question # 3:

I would recommend ZoneAlarm to you because Comodo is too complicated. I use it and it always asks me when I'm installing something and it sometimes forget rules you picked. ZoneAlarm should be simple enough, but it will still ask you if a new program is attempting to connect.

#3 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Honestly I am a complete novice and I changed from ZoneAlarm to Commodo and it really is great. It lets you know what's going in and out of your computer!

You need a proper firewall to replace your Windows firewall as it can be exploited easily, Commodo is rated as the best free firewall atm afaik.

I also have a program called SpywareBlaster which does provide some real-time protection I am told against bad websites!!

As suggested above don't have two AntiVirus programs as it also hogs RAM + could conflict!

#4 rfearo

rfearo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:43 PM

Thanks much for the input. I think I'll keep the AVG free edition because it looks like it does more than the avira, unless someone can tell me otherwise. As for the firewall, I am still undecided and will have to contemplate more. If anyone else would like to give some advice it is more than welcome.

Thanks again

#5 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 08:09 PM

I also have a program called SpywareBlaster which does provide some real-time protection I am told against bad websites!!

Technically, it doesn't protect you real-time. It adds a list "known restricted sites" in Internet Explorer therefore making you immune.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/197368/should-i-add-spywareblaster-to-my-defense-system/

#6 xblindx

xblindx

• Banned
  • 1,923 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:13 PM

Thanks much for the input. I think I'll keep the AVG free edition because it looks like it does more than the avira, unless someone can tell me otherwise. As for the firewall, I am still undecided and will have to contemplate more. If anyone else would like to give some advice it is more than welcome.

Thanks again

On my machine I found AVG to be more resource intensive and slowed it down considerably. I use Avira Personal (free) now. It has real time scanning of reading/writing files, auto-updates, an amazing scanner, and some other features that I can't remember right now.

If AVG runs smoothly on your machine, then by all means keep it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users