Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

windows xp problems after virus infection and removal

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matta

matta

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:11 PM

Hello all,
I'm writing because I've a few problems with my laptop since I got hit by some viruses. There are a number of issues. First of all. Windows update is unable to instill a security update for XML core ( update KB954430 xml services sevice pack 2.) I'm working on an IBM x61s Laptop with windows xp SP3. Secondly, I often work on two screens, the laptop plus a monitor and recently when I try to change my desktop wallpaper on reboot it goes back to the previous one. Another maybe more woorying problem is that I frequently hear the windows error sound without having any windows appearing and this often happens when I'm not actually doing anything.(just reading a web page for example). I had also lost about twenty four gigs of disk space which I eventually recovered by uninstalling the IBM backup program "Rescue and Recovery" but even then The "Sytem Volume Information" folder still had 500Mbs in it( according to the "spacemonger" app, although I had completely turned off System Restore.
So theres definetly something a bit fishy going on . But what? that's my question. I did use combofix to sort out my problem and it might be possible that this rewired my system somehow.

It would be great if someone could help me out. :thumbsup:
Yours,
Matta

Edited by matta, 23 January 2009 - 12:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Skydie

Skydie

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:04 PM

Im not a pro at computers but as your computer previously had a virus problem I recommend trying out an online scan, for example ESET's one, then try MalwareBytes if virus problems are detected anymore than 3+ then I recommend trying Avast! Free and SuperAntiSpyware.

PS: ALWAYS download from a secure site I recommend www.Download.com

#3 DoesNotCompute

DoesNotCompute

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:19 PM

In your situation I would possibly cut my losses and go with a reformat while saving any data you need. If you are opposed to this and have some time to burn I would Google and run the following tools: CrapCleaner(CCleaner now), SpyBot, Windows OneCare Live scanner, and an antivirus of your choice (AVG Free would work). As for the failed updates you can attempt to remove all updates pertaining to XML and then try a fresh install, search for a manual install from Microsoft using the "KB" update #, or try to Google and running Dial-A-Fix. However, with the amount of issues you are experiencing a reformat and fresh install would probably save the most time and would certainly provide the best guarantee. Good luck!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:41 PM

ComboFixit is an extremely powerful tool which should only be used when instructed to do so by someone who has been properly trained. ComboFix is intended by its creator to be "used under the guidance and supervision of an expert", NOT for private use. Please read Combofix's Disclaimer. Using this tool incorrectly could lead to disastrous problems with your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.

Try running sfc.exe.

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to use the System File Checker (SFC) to examine and repair corrupt operating system files.

In doing this, the SFC tool may replace some of your files that were updated by Windows Update. The only way to check this (and to update any of the files) is by visiting Windows Update and allowing it to check your system for updates and update as needed.

References

Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe)

Microsoft Windows XP - Repair overview

Instructions

1. Locate your Windows XP installation CD. If you don't have one, you'll need to locate a directory on your system that's named"i386" (without the quotes). This directory may be on a hidden partition on your hard drive.

2. Go to Start, then to Run, and type in "SFC.EXE /SCANNOW" (without the quotes - and with a space between the SFC.EXE and the /SCANNOW). Then press Enter. (For VISTA, go to Start and type in the above information, then go to the top of the box and right click on SFC.EXE /SCANNOW and select "Run As Administrator")

3. The program may (or it may not) ask you for your Windows XP installation CD - please insert it at the prompt. If it doesn't ask you for the CD this means that it wasn't necessary to replace any files.

4. In the event the the system asks you for the CD, you must visit Windows Update immediately after the scan is completed (Please note that there won't be any confirmation dialog - the program will just exit without telling you anything).

5. If this doesn't repair the problem with your system other troubleshooting procedures are required.

Edited by dc3, 23 January 2009 - 02:42 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 matta

matta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 09:36 AM

Ok thanks all for your advice. I'll try the sfc.exe solution and let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users