Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a good external HD

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SecureTime

SecureTime

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:00 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:10 PM

Need some help guys, I need to get a "good" external HD 500Gb, but if possible for not a large sum of money. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:21 AM

I use a WD Passport and i love it. I have the 250G model with
three PC's worth of data backed up on it. Got it on sale for $69.
I've seen the 500G for $129.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?DriveID=525

I considered a SimpleTech because it's just cool looking.
http://www.simpletech.com/products/storage/signature-mini

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 12:51 AM

You will find many different good opinions on externals. Most will say that externals are not as reliable as internals. Realistically they are more banged around, more exposed to ESD during more frequent plug in/outs and tend to be higher density drives. USB drives are very easy to connect but options such as eSata connections will be faster providing your machine will support eSata. Newegg is an excellent source, they are cheap, ship fast and have a good reputation. You can find 500G externals for under $100. Some makes will offer Acronis back up software free (under a different name) that you can use to image mirror image your internal under a different name. Acronis gets a lot of complaints but seems to be about the best. It has worked perfectly ever time for me with my particular machine, I love it. Here is a link to Newegg 500G externals. Search through it and you will find ones under $100.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;x=0&y=0

#4 SecureTime

SecureTime
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

I had an accident with my old 320GB WD so now I need to replace it, naturally I would look for another WD but wanted to get more opinions, there are many new players in the game and I'm not very familiar with they. SimpleTech does look very cool :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips guys :huh:

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 06:11 AM

The WD Passport has a good reputation, I agree with Raw on this choice.

Unfortunately Newegg doesn't export to Austria, so you will have to do you shopping elsewhere.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:34 AM

My Cavalry Cavalry CAXM CAXM37500 500GB firewire came with a Western Digital hard drive inside. I have seen many other people that discovered a WD drive inside the same external. However I believe Cavalry may use multiple vendors for their drives. The Cavalry does have a solid case and good construction but does not include Acronis True Image. They have had failures but how many are due to physical shock from getting knocked down is unknown. Mine is located in a safe place where it is not likely to be knocked down. One other thing I thought of is that heat is an enemy of externals. If the manufacture recommends mounting them standing make sure the case is allowed to dissipate heat properly.

#7 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

Well that puts a new spin on this thread. Are you looking for
something portable or a stationary drive?
WD has the My Book desktop drive for around $129.
Iomega's 500G offering is about $89.

External Hard Drives Buyer's Guide:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/storag...cleID=207401334

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#8 mrpete

mrpete

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:00 AM

I bought a Thermaltake Max 4 enclosure and popped a 500 GB SATA drive in it. I'm quite happy with that setup.

It's more work, but you get to select exactly the disk you want. But, it might be 10 - 20 % more expensive that way.

The Max 4 is a little flimsy feeling as you are asembling it, but once the screws are tightened it's solid ... and cool ... the thing has an 80 mm fan that is not loud at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users