Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD is almost constantly being read

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Warpoet

Warpoet

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:00 PM

Hi,

This is my first post here and I am in desperate need of some advice/ideas on what to do.

I built my own PC from scratch around 8 months ago. Everything was fine up until a couple weeks ago when the PC crashed a few times. Managed to System Restore it twice, but the last attempt failed and the computer would just keep restarting itself over and over after it had got past the black Windows XP screen. Also got a whole bunch of errors, that I don't remember anymore...anyway, it turns out that it was the HD (Western Digital 120GB), so I sent it back and they replaced it with a "re-certified" one. Installed everything again (however, I also lost a stick of RAM too, as for some reason, the PC wouldnt install Windows XP Pro with this stick of RAM in it - so now I just have 512MB, instead of 1024), and a week later it crashes again and the same problems occur, but with some different errors. However, this time, I could not even use Safe Mode to access the computer...it just froze at the screen that gave me the option of how to start the PC (Normal, Safe, etc...). So I take it into a friends repair place, and he finds 2 errors on the HD...

Cut a long story short - I ordered a Maxtor HD and am still waiting for the replacement RAM stick to arrive. But even with this HD, it seems to be constantly read, especially when I am playing games, which makes the game rather glitchy at some points. I am worried that the same thing is going to happen in another week, but I just dont know what to do. Could it be that I need a new motherboard (Soyo SY-K7VME)? Because it just seems very strange to me that I lose two HD's AND a stick of RAM all within such a close time frame...

I ran Sandra Lite and it says that the motherboard and power supply temperature is too hot, could this be causing any of these problems?

Please help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:38 PM

It doesn't sound good :thumbsup:

There is a free RAM diagnostic called Memtest86 which you can download from here:
Memtest86

Use it to create a bootable floppy disk. When you reboot with that floppy in the drive it will automatically run a memory test. Let it run at least overnight and then examine the error count.

Sandra lite - don't think much of it :

it says that the motherboard and power supply temperature is too hot

What temps does it show? What are your system specs?

Try Everest instead - Download the system analysis program 'Everest' so you can get detailed information about your system:
Everest download

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#3 Warpoet

Warpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2005 - 11:22 PM

Hmm, I cant use that Memtest86 because I dont have a floppy drive.

I downloaded Everest, but Im not sure what Im supposed to do with it to check for any problems.

Sandra Lite says that the Mainboard temp is 51C and the Power supply is 87C. My system specs are: AMD Athlon XP 2500, 512 MB RAM (PC 2700), Nvidia 5200, Maxtor 80GB HD and the WD 120GB as slave drive (ran a program from WD that scanned the WD HD for errors and said that it fixed them).

#4 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:06 AM

I downloaded Everest, but Im not sure what Im supposed to do with it to check for any problems.

Run it and check your sensor temperatures (First entry in the list, Computer?, then Sensor will display system temperatures, voltages and fan speeds in real time), also check the rest of your components are reporting themselves as you expect.

Are you overclocking anything?

According to SANDRA you can just about boil water on your PSU which is ridiculous - what make and Wattage is it? Are the fan(s) running? What CPU temp do you get?

Soltek QBIC, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 512MB RAM, 200GB SATA HDD, ATI Radeon 9600XT 256MB, Netgear 54Mb/s WAP, ridiculously expensive Satellite Broadband
Windows XP Home SP2, Trend Micro Internet Security, Firefox, Thunderbird, AdAwareSE, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster, A-squared Free, Ewido Security Suite.

#5 Warpoet

Warpoet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

I have run the sensor and it is doing a very strange thing. All the temps are showing up except for CPU, then CPU pops up and shows as like in the 90s C, then it disappears, then it reappears with a temp of like 11, then disappears again, reappears with temp of 50, etc etc...I am guessing that isn't good...

We do not overclock, and never have. Everything is at standard speed. All the fans are functioning normally and there is good circulation in the case (inflow from front, exhaust in back and side).

Personally I think the readings Sandra is getting are wrong...if the PSU was that hot it would have melted down long ago. Probably more likely the sensor on the MB is defective, which is probably why we are getting weird temps on the CPU using EVEREST. Guess its time for a new MB....

#6 Rimmer

Rimmer

• Members
  • 2,159 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 07:47 PM

Could be a defective sensor, but this wouldn't produce real glitches in your running programs. A defective motherboard could. So could a defective CPU.
If it was a P4 I'd be looking for a badly seated CPU heatsink but I've read the Athlons have no thermal protection so if that were your situation, as you say, your CPU would be fried by now. Check the documentation for thermal protection on the Athlon XP.
It wouldn't do any harm to remove the CPU heatsink and put some thermal compound on it before putting it back and checking for good contact. Then check your temperatures again.

#7 chicha1997

chicha1997

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:13 PM

Could be a defective sensor, but this wouldn't produce real glitches in your running programs. A defective motherboard could. So could a defective CPU.
If it was a P4 I'd be looking for a badly seated CPU heatsink but I've read the Athlons have no thermal protection so if that were your situation, as you say, your CPU would be fried by now. Check the documentation for thermal protection on the Athlon XP.
It wouldn't do any harm to remove the CPU heatsink and put some thermal compound on it before putting it back and checking for good contact. Then check your temperatures again.

The wattage in your power supply? minimun should be 300, 400 watts is better JL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users