Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cloned harddrive wont boot - LoginLogoff problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Enncee

Enncee

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

Hi. I have two idediscs with xp on primary and windows7 beta on secondary. I booted up with Acronis boot disc and cloned the windows7-drive to a new sata drive using True Image. I then swapped drive and it worked fine. Then I cloned the xpdisc to a new sata and swapped drive and there is where the problem comes. It seems to boot up fine but when the logonwindow comes up it just logs out for approx two minutes then it just loops. Login-Logoff-Login-Logoff.......
If I hold down the shiftkey the loop stops and I see the login window with my name. I put in the password and enter, and the loop starts again. :thumbsup:
If I change back to old drive all is working perfect. Anyone have a clue. I have tried 3 times to clone the xpdisc with same result.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:41 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

I would have to suspect the drive itself...or the clone procedure you used.

I'm not familiar with ATI, I still use Powerquest products for my clone efforts.

If you cloned the partition...and it was the boot partition when cloned...then the old and the new should just interchange. The MBR on the old is the same as the MBR on the new...the boot.ini is the same.

About the only other thing I can think of which might impact...would be drives attached to the system that don't need to be such when attempting to use the cloned drive.

Louis

#3 Enncee

Enncee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 01:25 PM

Hi Louis. :thumbsup: Thanks for your input. The drive is brand new, and I have used this procedure many times before so Im still in the dark here.

#4 DoesNotCompute

DoesNotCompute

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:08 PM

I used to have a problem with Acronis where the cloned drive would sit idle and never fully boot. This does not appear to be the same issue that you are experiencing but in that situation I would run chkdsk, fix mbr, and or run an OS repair. Your other solution (Which I would try first actually) would be a partition to partition copy if you are doing a disk-to-disk or vice versa. Good luck!

#5 Enncee

Enncee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 06:14 AM

Your other solution (Which I would try first actually) would be a partition to partition copy if you are doing a disk-to-disk or vice versa. Good luck!

Ok, so this is what I ended up doing. I booted up with ATI bootcd and made images of the two partitions (xpdisc) and saved them on my W7disc. I connected new drive to a laptop using sata to usbadapter, and from computer management I did new partitions and formated them (without assigning driveletters or labels) according to partitions on the old drive. Removed old drive, put in the new, booted ATI bootcd, restored images. Success :thumbsup:
So, thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users