Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fresh Install?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JJ2K

JJ2K

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:26 AM

Hi,

My P.C is Win XP SP3, however I have too much clutter on the P.C, too many programs and probably a few viruses lurking around.

Basically I just want to start again with a fast smooth running computer, how can I do this?

My P.C was bought from the shop, so I don't think I have the XP CD?

What options do I have here

Edited by Pandy, 23 January 2009 - 10:37 AM.
Moved From Win 95/98/ME ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:33 PM

Hi :thumbsup:.

One possible course of action:

a. Download and install SIW Download - http://www.gtopala.com/siw-download.html . This is a very useful tool that will provide you current info about your system. Save the file generated on a floppy or whatever (file size will be less than max floppy disk content).

b. One of the key items saved will be your valid XP license key, it will be under the Licenses category and will be listed as the Windows Key. If you do not have a valid, legal license to use XP...this outline procedure won't help you.

c. Other potentially useful info saved will be summary data re your CPU, motherboard, network adapter, RAM/memory, video card or chip, and audio card or chip.

d. If you have a system sold by Gateway, Dell, HP, eMachines, etc...write down the vendor and the model number of your system. Doing this will facilitate your downloading drivers if you ever want to update such or reinstall such.

e. Find someone who has the same version of XP installed as you. If you have XP Home, you need someone with XP Home, if you have XP Pro...you need someone with XP Pro. Since you are doing a clean install, it doesn't matter if the CD includes SP1, SP2, and SP3...these SPs are available for download and installation once you get XP properly installed.

f. Ask the person that you found to either allow you to use their CD (not the owner's license) to do an install...or ask them to burn you a copy of the MS XP CD. Getting a copy of recovery/restore disks will not do the job...it must be a MS XP genuine install CD...and it must be the same version that you have a valid license to install.

g. Delete existing partition(s) on the system...and install from the CD you now have, using your valid key info when the prompt comes up for that.

If it were me, I would ensure that I have the network adapter drivers handy before I bother doing any of this. The network drivers are the first ones required, since Internet access is required in order to validate your install via Product Activation...and the Internet will be the source of downloading critical updates and drivers necessary.

If it were me, I would also ensure that I have the network downloads from Microsoft for SP1, SP2, and SP3...if such are necessary later. Each of these files will be approximately 500MB or so and each can be stored on an individual CD beforehand.

There are no legalities involved in having someone burn you a copy of an operating system for which you have a valid, legal license to use. The license is the real merchandise, which is why the license comes either attached to the system or is in the CD packaging.

IMO, too many persons have unnecessarily allowed themselves to be put in the position of having a system without having the necessary tools it takes to sometimes repair the system or do a reinstall of the O/S (for whatever reason). People lose original CDs, some just don't think about the possible future need...I could go on and on.

This is my vision of a workaround that no one can find fault with and doesn't encompass doing anything risky or illegal.

Louis

#3 DoesNotCompute

DoesNotCompute

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:52 PM

F.Y.I. - For the aforementioned "Product Key", if you cannot find a written key anywhere on the system (Windows Sticker) you may also want to check inside the case panel as some "techs" like to hide it there if the system was custom built. If you cannot find you product key you can Google and use the "Magical JellyBean Keyfinder" which should pull your Windows product key and any Office Installation keys you might need. One thing to consider is that while the key that this software lists was the key used to install your OS it may not work 100% to reinstall the software because some sneaky computer shops reuse product keys when they are not supposed to and the "Big Boys" like HP and Dell generally use a factory product key that will not work for a reinstall. This must all be done before a reformat of course and you may want to just look in device manager and take note of all hardware drivers before hand and even look for a driver folder on C: which you can copy to a flash drive if it exists. Also, don't forget to do all Windows updates and patches when you are done followed by a antivirus install!

#4 StickDude101

StickDude101

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:39 PM

Download a torrent iso and burn it to a cd. Then boot from the cd.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 06:59 PM

I would not advise following the advice of any one who urges you to download a torrent (and whatever else may accompany it) as a solution to making a "fresh install."

It may be "fresher" than you might think and not what you are looking for.

If you want to know the malware dangers inherent in doing such...I suggest you just use Google and use words/phrases like "torrent malware threat".

Aaahhh...I've done it for you, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=t...mp;aq=f&oq=

This might explain in part why so many of those "clever" persons who downloaded torrents and installed same on their system...sing the blues so often often system dysfunctionality.

But...that's what I would do and you're a different person :thumbsup:. I've never had to deal with an infection and I intend to keep it that way.

Louis

I didn't bother to include any remarks about the legality of doing such, since it's obvious to me that anyone who would suggest or do such thing...has little regard for obtaining anything via proper channels.

Edited by hamluis, 23 January 2009 - 08:41 PM.

#6 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:22 PM

Thankyou for your detailed responses it's really appreciated.

I'm going to have to find somebody with the XP install CD, it makes me wonder does this mean all people who buy their computers from a shop and have their OS pre-installed have to obtain a disk to re-install?
So what happens to a novice-user who has bought from a shop and has a totally corrupted OS and requires a fresh re-install?

I have on last question is it possible to just start again with XP without a fresh install, for instance no users and all files wiped, and any traces of viruses that may have been present and all programs also erased?

I'm just tired of my P.C crunching away, and on trying to uninstall many programs i'm getting errors meaning I cannot uninstall them, so i'd rather just wipe the whole thing.

Thanks again i'll definatley follow this step-by-step as soon as I get my hands on the XP install CD!

#7 Hawkeye4

Hawkeye4

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 02:15 AM

Is that shop still operating? If so, go back and ask them where your disk is.

#8 JJ2K

JJ2K
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:25 PM

Is that shop still operating? If so, go back and ask them where your disk is.

Why should have I got an XP install CD with my P.C? I didn't think it was included, as it was pre-installed on there. I'll ask them anyway!

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 07:06 PM

FYI, frequently small computer shops "pre-installed" version of XP is not legal meaning you have no way of reinstalling if you need to. When Dell or whoever pre-installs XP, it includes recovery discs or a partition. I always tell folks that if you're dealing with a small computer shop, go out and buy a copy of XP and don't allow him to pre-install an illegal version. It's a shortcut that will cost you later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users