When I turn on the computer, it shuts down after a few seconds when performing "IDE SCAN". It says, IDE SCAN followed by a "spinning dash" for maybe 7 seconds. usually it quickly lists the hard drives and goes on.
- P5gd1 ASUS mobo
- some pentium 4 cpu 3.02MHZ (single core)
- 2 512 mo kingston KVR DDR sticks,
- Asus geforce 6200T
- 2 maxtors (boot) 80go drive IDE
- 2 seagates 320 & 500 Go IDE
- 1 seagate 500 go SATA
- no raid, no overclocking, clean, 5 years old.
- machine worked quite well before problem.
- accessing the bios setup: i can't, it performs a IDE scan before entering it.
- Changing IDE cables
- plugging only a SATA drive.
- unplugging everything but the mother board and video card. (when I don't plug my monitor, it beeps three times then shuts down after about the same amount of time. (3 beeps is a undocumented POST code for my bios).
- changed the PSU for a bigger better one.
- verified if there was no short circuit (specially in ide sockets) or other apparent broken parts.
- tried to boot with only one of my two stick of RAM, then the other one.
- verified if the grafic card and CPU were well seated.
- removed the M-BOARDs watch battery to reset it.
tell me there is something I haven't tried. Of course I have tons of work to finish ASAP on this machine.
Tanks a million dollar times for your help and sorry for my poor english!!
*yay, i now have two 50$ PSUs!