Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loud fan at start up?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 sumiq8

sumiq8

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

My fan makes such a loud whizzing and whirring noise at start up. Its freaking me out. I feel like its going to explode or something. Im not very PC savvy..lol.

Anyway, I had the fan replaced over the summer. When I reconnected the wires, and started up...I got the error message 'floppy disk fail' then I can Press F1 to conitue. Then Windows starts.

I have to press F1 every time I use my computer since I do not know how to fix the error.

So could this be messing up my systme?? PLz help. xoxox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:54 AM

Oh...and after about 5 minutes it goes to a light hum BUT I was trying to upload a photo to my Etsy shop and BAM it started whirring again. Please help!

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:19 AM

Hi :thumbsup:.

Regarding the fan noise...are you talking about the CPU fan, the PSU fan, or a case fan?

Are your fans (CPU, case) securely attached (no vibration caused by loose attachment)?

The floppy disk fail error message...http://www.wisegeek.com/what-causes-the-error-message-floppy-disk-failure.htm

Louis

#4 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2009 - 08:55 AM

Hi,

I have no idea. The main sound and vibration are coming from the top where the CD disk drive is. Or whatever it is called.

Also, I think I must be getting the disk failure error because I must have put the cables in wrong when I got the cpy back from the repair shop.

Can someone show me a photo of WHERE the cable is on the bcak of the CPU?? Im lost. Thanks. You are lifesavers!

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 10:53 AM

Can someone show me a photo of WHERE the cable is on the bcak of the CPU??

What is the make and model of your computer?
Do you still have the User's manual? There's pictures in there
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 sumiq8

sumiq8
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 12:44 PM

Hi,

Im still having issues with the loud fan at start up. Anyone have any other ideas?? xox

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2009 - 01:14 PM

There is a heatsink with a fan on the processor on the motherboard.
In the last few years many manufacturers added a speed control for the fan
When the computer isn't doing much the fan runs slow because the processor doesn't require as much cooling as it does when it heats up under a load.
When the computer starts up it is under a very heavy load causing the processor to heat up so the fan runs at full speed .
Once the computer is started & the load on the processor is reduced the fan slows down.
If you use a program or application that causes a heavy load on the processor the fan speeds up again to increase cooling.
Don't worry until your fan quits running at full speed during startup or under a load !

[Edit to fix typos.]

Edited by fairjoeblue, 26 March 2009 - 02:54 PM.

OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,222 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:51 AM

The main sound and vibration are coming from the top where the CD disk drive is.

Is there a disk in the drive?
Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users