Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ram not reading?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kau_cinta_ku

kau_cinta_ku

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:36 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:32 AM

So I am tring to help my sister get her computer (she uses it for the kids) to run faster and noticed that her pc only has 128mb of Ram, so I said well thats your problem :thumbsup:. anyway after checking with www.crucial.com to find out what Ram I needed to upgrade her computer I found this info.

Guaranteed-compatible memory upgrades for your HP - Compaq Pavilion 511w Desktop/PC.
System Information
Manufacturer Specifications - HP - Compaq Pavilion 511w

Number of Slots:

Slot 1 Slot 2

Each memory slot can hold SDRAM, PC133 with a maximum of 256MB per slot.*

*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

Maximum Memory: 512MB
Slots: 2 (2 banks of 1)
Standard Memory: 128MB removable
USB Support: 1.x Compliant

and so I went on to look for some Ram. My sister found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/2-x-256MB-512MB-SDRAM-...%3A1%7C294%3A50 . well after looking it over it seemed everything matched up perfect and ordered it.

Now the package came and I tried 1st to just install 1 of the cards leaving the 128mb Ram in and just add an extra 256mb to start with. I plugged it in and made sure it was seated properly and turned the pc back on. The pc still seemed to run slow so I went to my computer and clicked on properties and it said only 128mb of Ram still. so after that I thought maybe you need to match the Ram, so I pulled it apart and added both Ram cards to the pc to max out what the computer can handle, plugged it back up and turned it on. This time I get a few beeping noises and just a black screen, the Pc won't even boot up. so again I put it all back together with just the 128mb of ram and it runs fine again just very very slow.

Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 02:48 AM

It sounds like you may have a compatibility issue with the new RAM, did the seller guarantee that the modules were compatible with your motherboard?

Can you provide us with the manufacturer and model of the new and old modules?

Motherboards that used PC100 and PC133 were a lot pickier about what modules they wanted to see, some wanted to see low density, some wanted to see high density, some didn't like seeing double sided modules...

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 kau_cinta_ku

kau_cinta_ku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:06 AM

I will get the info in the morning when I go back to my sisters house.

As for the seller, getting ahold of him is being a pain in the butt. lol. But to be honest, we never asked the seller if they were compatible with the motherboard as I just went by what crucial.com stated we needed and then matched it up with the ebay listing. (I know, dumb on my part about not asking first)

Edited by kau_cinta_ku, 23 January 2009 - 03:07 AM.

#4 kau_cinta_ku

kau_cinta_ku
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 05:53 PM

well you were correct, TY the seller also replied and said the ram we got was High density, and that our PC will only accept the low density Ram which the seller offered to correct.

thanks again for the help.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,470 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 24 January 2009 - 03:36 AM

I'm always glad to be able to help, it's good to see that the seller is going to make things right for you.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users