Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

yahoo

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 muuji

muuji

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:32 PM

for the last year or so I have used Firefox for all my internet activity. a week ago I found I couldn't get into yahoo - not just my emails, I couldn't get onto the yahoo sites generally. i assumed it was a problem at yahoo's end, but after a few days thought it might be something else. i tried getting there with The World Browser - no luck. then i tried IE and had no problems at all. I still can only use IE to get into yahoo. i changed nothing in my computer settings that might have caused this to happen.
i have tried adjusting my firewall settings, even disabling the firewall, but still no luck.
any suggestions?
Muuji

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nospam

nospam

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Hmm

I am assuming you are running Windows, you could go to the command prompt or go to Run and type CMD

at the prompt type this:
ping yahoo.com

See what IP it returns. Can you visit all other sites with no problem? Could be something in your HOSTS file that could have been changed.

You can try visiting Yahoo by IP and see what happens

Mine looks like this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\myuserID>ping yahoo.com

Pinging yahoo.com [206.190.60.37] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=52
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=28ms TTL=52
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=30ms TTL=52
Reply from 206.190.60.37: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 206.190.60.37:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 28ms, Maximum = 30ms, Average = 29ms

Put these IP (internet protocol addresses) into your browser, you should get a Yahoo page that says something like:
YAHOO "Sorry, the page you requested was not found."

Also, try using the Opera browser or Seamonkey - http://opera.com or http://www.seamonkey-project.org/
and see what happens.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

It appears to me that yahoo changes their site several times a year. I've had days that even IE would not go in. I use Opera and most of the time it works, and then it breaks for a day or two. Finally, with no changes on my part, it works.
They're not friendly to non IE browsers generally.
Like you, about a week ago it was trouble.
Yahoo does require that javascript runs, so if IE is set to block javascript, yahoo mail is doomed in IE as well.

Edited by tos226, 23 January 2009 - 11:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users