Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new macbook user

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 bsheurs

bsheurs

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:50 PM

I'm a new macbook owner and would like to know what the best antivurus software is.

Edited by Pandy, 23 January 2009 - 06:06 PM.
Moved from AntiVirus, Firewall and Privacy Products and Protection Methods ~Pandy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lhamil64

lhamil64

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 09:15 PM

I don't own a mac but Mac OS X isn't as popular as Windows so you can't get viruses as easilly.
You can still get a virus but there aren't really any antivirus software that do what you think. All antivirus software just protect against viruses from getting into Windows if you have it installed.

#3 E-werd

E-werd

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

Its not as fully-featured and Windows alternatives, but there is ClamXav (http://www.clamxav.com/). It will get the job done, and its free.

If you want a corporately sponsored (i.e. costs money) solution, there is McAfee Virex for Macintosh (http://www.mcafee.com/us/enterprise/products/anti_virus/file_servers_desktops/virex.html) and Norton Antivirus for Mac (http://www.symantec.com/norton/macintosh/antivirus).

I have always been a fan of Norton Antivirus, but only when thats all it is. When they start adding systemworks and all those extras, things slow down. ClamXav is what I use when I feel I have a need to.

Edited by E-werd, 25 January 2009 - 08:17 PM.

#4 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 04 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

Macs don't need virus protection, really. Sure, there's a few out for them now, but they aren't really common. You're more likely to pick up windows viruses and pass them along. I don't think its worth it to cram junk on your macbook.

Meanwhile, macs have some cool little tricks. Holding down shift while minimizing a window is pretty cool, along with crl-alt-apple-8(or the three to teh left of the keyboard and 8), which inverts the colors. to undo it do the same thing again.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#5 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:18 PM

Actually Apple is now suggesting Mac users run two scanners. (Google it)
I use Clamxav, and Intego Virusbarrier with no problems.

Regards. :blink:

#6 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

Care to share a link? In my googling, I didnt find any article say Apple suggests running 2 av packages.
Posted Image

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:24 PM

<sigh> I'm on dialup here. :wacko: :blink: :)

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/02/apple_mac_av_advice/

Apple goes further than just recommending the use of one scanner to advise the use of multiple tools.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10110852-83.html

Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities

http://blog.intego.com/2008/11/25/apple-re...virus-software/

Apple has issued a technical note about Mac antivirus software, and, for the first time, suggests that Macs need such software.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/154780/appl...tml?tk=rss_news

"Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities so that virus programmers have more than one application to circumvent, thus making the whole virus writing process more difficult,"

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8120201337.html

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/12/02/apple-updat...savants-lose-g/

Seems Apple pulled the KB article, here's the archive right from the horses mouth. :)

http://web.archive.org/web/20080113164722/...3Fartnum%3D4454

Apple encourages the widespread use of multiple antivirus utilities so that virus programmers have more than one program to circumvent, thus making the whole virus writing process more difficult. Here are some of the available antivirus utilities:

#8 TVT

TVT

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

That article was in their KB for years. They updated it last December, and everyone thought it was them changing their stance on AV on Macs. It was a huge misunderstanding, so they pulled the article completely

"We have removed the KnowledgeBase article because it was old and inaccurate," Apple spokesperson Bill Evans said.

http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-10111958-12.html
Posted Image

#9 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 07 February 2009 - 09:04 PM

I'm curious. Has Intego Virusbarrier ever detected anything on your Mac?

I've had it at one time and during the time I used it, it didn't detect one thing. I deleted it thinking the yearly update fees Intego charges could be used for something else. Just curious if anything else has changed since then.

#10 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2009 - 09:29 PM

Regards. :wacko:

I'm curious. Has Intego Virusbarrier ever detected anything on your Mac?

I've had it at one time and during the time I used it, it didn't detect one thing. I deleted it thinking the yearly update fees Intego charges could be used for something else. Just curious if anything else has changed since then.

No, but Clamxav did. Trojan agent. It may have been a false positive though. I dragged it to the trash.
I tried out Macscan last year, and it would catch tracking cookies.

So I guess Apple is saying I don't have to worry about downloading & transferring malware to my PC from my Mac?
And I don't have to worry about malware in my email infecting other's PC's?
And I don't have to worry about tracking cookies.
Whew, That's good to know.
Thanks guys. :blink:

Edited by 12x48y, 08 February 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#11 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 09 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

So I guess Apple is saying I don't have to worry about downloading & transferring malware to my PC from my Mac?
And I don't have to worry about malware in my email infecting other's PC's?
And I don't have to worry about tracking cookies.

Actually, those are teh only reasons to have antiviruses on Macs. They don't neutralize them, they just don't run on a mac. You can pass it on in email. I don't use anything for email though, and you don't really need it IMO, unless you get massive chain mail.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#12 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

I don't use anything for email though, and you don't really need it IMO, unless you get massive chain mail.

I don't use my email much either, but one could have Clamxav sentry set to scan email as it arrives.
I don't worry to much about infecting my Mac, ( It's more likely that I'll get hacked. :blink: LOL )
But I do use the Mac to download a lot of PC software to try out. Then transfer the software to my PC from my Mac. Either by burning the software to a cd, or moving the file to an external. (I think the Trojan Agent was from either a PGCEdit, or DVD Lab Pro demo download, can't remember.)

That article was in their KB for years. They updated it last December "We have removed the KnowledgeBase article because it was old and inaccurate," Apple spokesperson Bill Evans said.

What has changed since last december? Leopard? I'm still using Tiger with the updates.
So shouldn't one use at least one scanner? As in my case stated above above. Or no?

Thanks guys.
:wacko:

Edited by 12x48y, 09 February 2009 - 08:16 PM.

#13 Buddyme2

Buddyme2

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:29 PM

What has changed since last december? Leopard? I'm still using Tiger with the updates.
So shouldn't one use at least one scanner? As in my case stated above above. Or no?

Thanks guys.
:blink:

Just a few more Trojans that the only way to infect a Mac is if the user installs it unknowingly. No virii yet. After uninstalling VirusBarrier from my laptop running Tiger I haven't had any issues with my Mac. The same goes with my other laptop running Leopard. Just download from reputable sites and keep your software current and you shouldn't have any problems.

#14 BlueMerle

BlueMerle

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 26 August 2009 - 08:57 PM

I'm a long time Mac user though I make my living supporting Windows machines. I use ClamXav but it's really just a habit more than a necessity. As others have said there is little chance of an infection on a Mac at this time, but that will eventually change I'm sure.

With respect to others, I wouldn't recommend any of the Intego products.... some of the worst written software for the Mac I've ever seen and their support is horrid by any measure. You're better off not running any AV s/w rather than using one of their products. IMO

Enjoy your Mac!

Blue

#15 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2009 - 10:11 AM

I think you are right. I downloaded the Intego removal tool. It seems that Clamxav is the only free scanner that will detect windows malware.
So I'll stick with Clamxav. Even tho the windows malware most likely won't run on the Mac, or send itself to a Peecee, I don't want to accidently send a friend or relative an infected document or something. Just playing it safe.

Thanks again guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users