Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SHould I add SpywareBlaster to my defense system?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Lloyd T

Lloyd T

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 07:30 PM

Hello everyone.

Should I add SpywareBlaster to my defense system? How much resources does it use?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 January 2009 - 08:53 PM

Short answer is a resounding YES! You should add it to your defense. It uses zero (0) resources, zilch, none, nada. It sets killbits in the registry to actually "prevent" baddies (in the form of malicious ActiveX controls or even tracking cookies) from installing and apart from the occasional update, you never need to open it. The only time it runs, is when you want to change a setting or to update its definitions.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware, Hijackers, and Malware.
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

Phear teh ceiling cat, for he is roofkittehd! - Basement Cat

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:44 PM

Thanks Galadriel. I'll install it now.

#4 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2009 - 09:53 PM

Installed SpywareBlaster. I hope Malwarebytes doesn't think that it's a rogue.

Your new avatar's nice, by the way. :thumbsup:

#5 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 12:11 AM

There should be no problem with MBAM.

Thanks. I felt that after 6 years of using the same avatar, it was time for a change (as the sig also states). :thumbsup:
I cemna prestar aen. Han mathon ne nen. Han mathon ne chae. A han noston ne 'wilith. - Galadriel
'The avatar is changed; I can feel it in the water, I can feel it in the earth, I can smell it in the air.'

I'm a Bleeping Folder, are you? - Join BC in the fight against diseases - Click here

#6 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 03:57 PM

How often should I update SpywareBlaster?

#7 Galadriel

Galadriel

Bleepin Elf

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,753 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:04 PM

I'd say check for updates about once every week or two.

#8 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:18 PM

It uses zero (0) resources, zilch, none, nada.

After hearing that, I also decided to download it :thumbsup:

Besides.....I need a lot of resources for rendering in 3DS Max, running some somewhat resource heavy programs, and other things on this machine.

And after looking at it, it seems really simple and should be a nice addition to the protection.

........shutting up.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#9 Lloyd T

Lloyd T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 853 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 04:47 PM

Will the Firefox module still be there if I installed this on a computer without Firefox? It would be annoying if it was because it would say that Firefox isn't protected even though I don't have Firefox installed on that computer.

Edited by Lloyd T, 23 January 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#10 scff249

scff249

Indecisive Lurker

• Members
  • 1,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

It will still be there, but it also knows if Firefox is there or not, so don't worry about that.

Edited by scff249, 23 January 2009 - 07:13 PM.

"Ototo'i wa usagi o mita no...Kino wa shika...Kyo wa anata." -Kotomi Ichinose (Clannad) [see below for translation]
"Day before yesterday I saw a rabbit, and yesterday a deer, and today, you." -The Dandelion Girl
"You are not alone, and you are not strange. You are you, and everyone has damage. Be the better person." -Katawa Shoujo

#11 GTK48

GTK48

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:37 PM

I have been using it for years, would not go on the Net without it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users